My first year as an owner operator.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by murat, Sep 2, 2015.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Or the drivers that were making 100k per year. Now they want to be an O\O, yet they dont have any money in the bank. What does that tell you about them as a business person?

MJ1657, HalpinUout and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So you are telling me that investing more money than needed when starting out a business is a smart decision? Why not keep your entry cost as minimal as possible? Lets say you put $5k as a downpayment for the trailer, why not keep that 5k as an extra emergency fund in case your truck breaks down or your grandma dies? After few months, when you get to know better paying lanes, brokers start trusting you, you make connections and only then invest in new trailer? There are plenty of brokers and shippers who dont deal with carriers with less than 6 months old authority. Unfortunately people like you with no business sense are the problem in this industry

4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

mp4694330 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  5. secorp

secorp Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Lakeland Florida
    Following thread

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Buying a flat is one thing ..... The op does blower work. Go price a new aluminum blower trailer. I'll guess $75k. Probably more depending on specs.

P.S. And if he has a blower on the tractor .... That's another $10k

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    blade, rbrtwbstr and Coyote302 Thank this.
  7. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    Whoa ! did not want to start an argument, Here is my company situation, they act basically as a broker the trailer is free,they pay 73% of the load,by the ton delivered. They have a blower program so you can purchase and install the blower and have it taken out so much per week from your settlement.I guess it is not such a bad idea but a lot of guys don't like unloading the stuff.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    The company I work for just bought a new Mac pneumatic tanker, cement spec, with clearcoat finish. Base price was $58500, clearcoat was another 7k.

And the blowers?? It's insane. I believe a new 12" Gardner Denver is around $9000 and the pro to run it is another 1500

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It really doesn't matter what the trailer or even truck costs. If you are gonna have you're own authority you need a trailer. If you can't get a trailer then you would be much better served leased to a carrier.

truckon Thanks this.
  10. Shop around find a trailer, this is not a game to put 5 bucks in the pot. You need to be "all in".

Find an older blower trailer, run your butt off. 5 or 6 weeks out. Get your feet wet. Fix your ride, sock away your money and eat out of your truck.

Put your back into the job and it will pay off.

Be one of the examples not failures.

Dye Guardian, MSS and truckon Thank this.
  11. MSS

MSS Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Hagerstown,MD
    Now a days people that are willing to work is very few and far between. With the major driver shortage out there I would say if your willing to suck it up and work hard for it and really want it you will succeed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.