My first year at TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Linte_Loco, Apr 24, 2011.

1. riverrat143

riverrat143 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Brodhead, Wisconsin
    Just a thought,,,,after 10 years of service I am sure you have a rank at this point. Another 10 years will get you a military retirement and the benefits that go with it. Do some thinking on this move. If your a single guy and just want something different, trucking can be rewarding and a great way to see some things that are simply amazing between the east and west shorelines and bank some good money. If you have a family it is a major adjustment.
    When I started, my job of 26 years had just ended and I thought I would adjust easily since my last job in the corporate world had kept me out 2-3 nights a week. I did not adjust easily at all. Trucking is not a career change, it is a lifestyle change. I found that I was missing the day to day little things a lot. Things that break and need to be fixed are hard to deal with when you are 1000 miles from home. Family events happen whether your there or not even though everone would rather you be there. Trucking is what you make it. But it can crush you. Make the choice that is best for you.

Good luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Great post. I really hope anyone considering trucking as a career change considers this.

4. fatdaddyhimself

fatdaddyhimself Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2013
    yes i understand where your coming from and have considered all options. But due to family reasons/personal reasons getting out would be the best option for me and i honestly would rather be gone from home in a truck state side than be on a ship for 7 months back for 30days then gone for 7 again in the last 3yrs of my career i have witnessed the navy/military go through downsizing/budget cuts. I had a very close friend of mines get caught up in it and he was sent home after 17yrs of service with no retirements he was married and had 4 kids one of them was a special needs kid and they just sent him home and i refuse to be apart of sumthing that can be so cold hearted. Cause he tried everything that he could to stay in so he can take care of his fam and the statement thet he was givin was "after 17 years of faithful service your service is no longer needed as far we are down sizing and through the elisted retention selection board we have decided to terminate your contract. Thanks for your service".. I run a recruiting office currently and dont understand how they can send home a sailor that wants to be in the navy,and hve me recruit kids that have no desire to be in the navy, they join if we are lucky the make it to bootcamp but 7 out of 10 come back cause the would rather work at sonic and live with there parents

i dont want to be caught up in the same situation so i figured that i would seperate go with company that has the military apprentinceship program get my 18k form them and go o/o after i get my experiance

my father has been driving for 35yrs and says that he is ready to come off the road so i did alot of homework and through the va i am eligable for small biz loans witch would enable me to buy him out purchase my own athuarity and have my own company. But first i feel it would be best for me to drive in the industry and learn what its all about
    but thanks for all the input

JustDoc Thanks this.
  5. hawk211

hawk211 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Does any one know if they have a gym that is available to use during orientation. I want to continue to stay in shape and work off all that gravy and fatty foods. Plus I know it will be worth the while instead of just lounging around doing nothing during down times.

If a gym is available where is it located and how is TMC about using the gym?

6. riverrat143

riverrat143 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Brodhead, Wisconsin
    There is a workout room full of equipment at the Baymont that you are welcome to use at will. There is also a pool, sauna and hot tub. Once you get into the securement part of training, you will be getting your exercise as well.

hawk211 Thanks this.
  7. gmcboy2005

gmcboy2005 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2013
    the key to success at tmc is a good fleet manager/without that it's an uphill battle

8. hawk211

hawk211 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Riverrat thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting in Iowa in about a week.

9. booth793

booth793 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Does anyone by chance know how long or anything about YMCA orientation for experienced flatbed drivers? How long it is and what it consists of?

10. Staxx

Staxx Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2010
    VA
    "YMCA",you're funny.

11. booth793

booth793 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Ha I apologize. Using my phone spell check is a pain in the ###. Guess I should have looked over before posting lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.