My first year at TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Linte_Loco, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Southwest MI
    I am very interested in TMC, I have heard they are pretty selective about who they hire. Am I going to have a hard time because of my age/experience? I have just left the construction industry (ya, I'm sorry, here comes another carpenter into your profession). I am 48 years old. I have always had a very strong work ethic having been raised on the farm and then working in construction. I realize you can't pick when you work, and the importance of finishing the job well, and regardless of weather, or "circumstances beyond your control".
    I have already passed the written tests, and gotten my DOT medical card, and my endorsements (doubles&triples, tankers, and Haze-mat). I plan to take a driving course starting next week.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    I saw a number of guys who looked well over 50 hired by them....course most of those were experienced already. Flatbed is more physical...but im sure you know what already. If you can handle that tarp thats easily 120 lbs onto your shoulder youll be ok. Worst case scenario you could drive for someone else for 6 months then apply with TMC because they do grill you and test you a bit before even sending you out with a driver/trainer.

4. soilderboy73

soilderboy73 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Henderson, KY

Don't feel bad bud, I got a few more days left and I decided to go with TMC after doing alot of checking around. they got the best and well maitained equipment, both tractors and trailers and the pay is great to. we just had the other day a student that graduated and finished their trainning program and says they been getting him home every weekend. I'm setup to start orenation on Aug 13th

Hsauer87 Thanks this.
  5. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Your age isn`t an issue to them. If you can do the job that`s all that matters. They hire new drivers with an approved training course. A clean background and DMV is the main thing.

It seems you have been looking for info and researching since 2009 at minimum. I`m guessing you have decided to take the plunge. Family life is the biggest issue for most.

Wherever you go, stick with that company as long as you can. Bigger and better jobs will open up later for those who give it at least a year. I`ve looked around some, but decided to stay. I have no issues here. I could try and do more, but my life is good:biggrin_25519:

Jimmy T Thanks this.
  6. flatbilly

flatbilly Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Elkhart County,IN
    How are you selected for the dedicated like Deere? Is there testing or just apply and it is based on senority/safety record?

7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I believe it`s 2 years experience( I think 2) and safety has to give the ok as well. But the right individual in the right location has alot to do with it as well.

flatbilly Thanks this.
  8. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Southwest MI

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  9. soilderboy73

soilderboy73 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Henderson, KY
    i'm testing tommorow for my cdl then start orentaion on the 13th with TMC, we got a guy in our class that is 52 and he said TMC told him he was to old.

10. Ex88m/Het

Ex88m/Het Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    NC
    his heart prob.. couldnt handle the gravy at orentation, LOL heart attack food for two weeks, I gained 20lbs while i was there... i was slopping that gravy up and lounging at the hotel not a good idea...

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    you joined TTR in Aug, 2009 ;)

Jimmy T and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.