My honest, no BS, opinion of P.A.M.

Discussion in 'PAM' started by ChipW, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    King,

PAM's closest terminal to you would be in Jacksonville which having lived in Titusville and knowing exactly where Melbourne is, tells me that you would be about as far away from their terminal as a person can be. However, don't let that discourage you. Most likely you would actually drive for AFS, whose main terminal is in Jacksonville. They get a lot of Florida freight and I would imagine your hometime would not be all that different than most rookies with PAM and all their affiliates. When I first started with them, I would stay out for 3 weeks and come home for 3-5 days.

captquickdraw77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoweMan43

LoweMan43 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Central Illinois
    Here's some info on PAM...

PAM also has Team dedicated runs from Warren< OH to El Paso<TX and back...16.5 cents 0 to 6 mo......upto 1 year=17 cents and 18.5 cents after 1 year. 2 years is 19.5 cents 4800 to 5200 mi/week.

The difference with Decker Transport is: after 12 mo= .32 cents ..... 18 mo= .33cents & after 24 mo it's .34 cents.

$300 per week while training after going to Driver Solutions schools.(4-6 weeks)

$1000 signon bonus after 1st seat driver...that's good.

They say you'll get 2500miles per week more or less.

Hope it helps someone out.

LoweMan43

4. LoweMan43

LoweMan43 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Central Illinois
    Here's some info on PAM...

PAM also has Team dedicated runs from Warren< OH to El Paso<TX and back...16.5 cents 0 to 6 mo......upto 1 year=17 cents and 18.5 cents after 1 year. 2 years is 19.5 cents 4800 to 5200 mi/week.

The difference with Decker Transport is: after 12 mo= .32 cents ..... 18 mo= .33cents & after 24 mo it's .34 cents.

$300 per week while training after going to Driver Solutions schools.(4-6 weeks)

$1000 signon bonus after 1st seat driver...that's good.

They say you'll get 2500miles per week more or less.

Hope it helps someone out.

Well, I guess it printed it twice...oh, well...lol

LoweMan43

5. ChipW

ChipW Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Chester, SC
    Like most other companies, you can expect 3-4 weeks out at a time. Some dispatchers stick to that, others will allow 2-3 weeks (some understand there are families involved). That is part of being new to the industry. Most newbies just have to suck it up and run the roads. Don't expect great home time from any of the larger companies right off the bat. So just do your time for a year or so, then start looking for companies with better home time. But to help, once your in with a company, get yourself on their dedicated list. With PAM, I was on a dedicated run within 4 months and was home every other day for my 10hr break and weekends for my 34hr reset. But it all depends on where you live.

PAM has MANY drop yards around the country. But our terminals are Tontitown, AR (main office) - North Little Rock, AR - Irving, TX - Willard, OH, Effingham, IN - Jacksonville, FL - Oklahoma City, OK. Our main drop yards are E. St. Louis, IL - Taylor, MI - Laredo, TX - Hammond, IN - Memphis, TN - Janesville, WI - Grand Rapids, MI and many, many more.... I can't tell you all of them. But, as long as your in our service area, PAM will get you home.

My suggestion though, always ask for your home time to start the day before you actually want to be home. They like to think that getting you home at night is still part of one of your days... But, as long as you aren't home for more than one extra day when they do get you home at night, they don't complain... You still get your time off...

As far as that signon bonus. You get 500.00 with your first full check (making it 800.00 - taxes) and then the second 500.00 after 90 days of becoming a 1st seat driver. So even if you don't make it through training (which as a former PAM trainer, I can tell you is NOT hard) you still get 500.00 bonus.

Hope this helps

jasper_truck86 Thanks this.
  6. bafinpa

bafinpa Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2008
    gainesville,fl
    King, I see the other guys already answered you. I'm from Gainesville,Fl so I guess for me will also be jacksonville. According to my recruiter, after the training in Arkansas I will be back home a couple of days and then one of the drivers will pick me up to start the OTR training.

7. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    That is correct, bafinpa. Let me know if you get a trainer named Scott. He and I went to CDL school together. He's a good trainer and has been with AFS since 2003. He's been training since 2004, I think.

8. bafinpa

bafinpa Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2008
    gainesville,fl
    Thanks scare, I will get you updated, I'm starting on the 24th. I will get all guys updated during trainnig, I'm glad I found this site....

"You've got to get up every morning with determination if you're going to go to bed with satisfaction"

9. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Well I want regional at first. If anyone wants details on my situation, pm me.

Kinghunter

10. ChipW

ChipW Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Chester, SC
    PAM or any of it's sister companies do not do regional. AFS may do a lot of FL stuff, but they are still a PTSI company and you will leave the area.... But, AFS does do dedicated runs... It may take you 3-6 months or longer to get on one though...

11. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    You're not gonna get regional with any PTSI company. As Chip said, the best you could hope for is a dedicated run. You might be better off finding a local company that will hire students if it's really that important to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.