My journey with PGT begins today

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by cjr323, Nov 24, 2012.

1. lorha1159

lorha1159 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    virginia beach,Va
    My bad on the explanation. I meant yr to yr from his starting date instead of the calendar year. :biggrin_25526: Also the .50-.55 is the range I would have been doing on some of the loads if they were figured on my 25.5% that I would get paid on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Well I made it to the "hotel" if you can call it that. It is a bit of a sh** hole, but I am not here for a vacation so it will serve its purpose. I have a roommate that has been driving for 18 years and signed up for their lease purchase program and has heard a ton of good things about PGT. I still have not talked to the recruiter about the ticket debacle, but I will address that tomorrow. I am ready to get this training started. I will post more tomorrow after I am done with my first day.

4. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I just noticed you were from fayetteville.... stationed at Bragg??? I've done quite a few Army and National Guard moves out of there. In fact I just moved out the National Guard boys 2 weeks ago to Hood. They were heading to Kuwait

5. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yes I have been stationed there for 4 years. I have been tryint to find info on hauling army gear for a while now. I have a dod clearence and heard its good money.

Airborne Thanks this.
  6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Sometimes it is good, sometimes not so good. You should know all too well that Uncle sam has set rates on just about everything, and their fuel surcharge is a joke. Seems that since Menlo took over the longistics dept, things have gone down hill from what I've been told??? I do alright, but it's usually the easy load (most things drive-on/drive-off) that draws me in, the rates are the same as hauling general freight usually. The only things I've hauled that pay well are the brand new Humvee's that come from the factory a few towns away from me.

Airborne Thanks this.
  7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Good luck cjr.

I look forward to reading about your progress.

Seems alot of guys start these threads about starting out and they eventually fall off the face of the earth. Hope you stick with us!

lorha1159 and SHC Thank this.
  8. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Update: I just finished day 3 of orientation. It is a lot of PowerPoint slides and listening to different departments about safety and other stuff life that. There has been some info covering logs, securement, and tarping, but that has been shoved in between all the other people coming in. It has been a lot of info jammed into a short week. We are supposed to start getting our trainers assigned tomorrow and could be rolling out with them tomorrow night or Friday. We were told some will be going over the road and others will be running local with their trainer. I am hoping to get out with an OTR trainer so I can get a better feel for the road then just doing runs around here. They have kept us fed pretty good a couple local restaurants and last night they sent us to Applebees. I think I have made a good choice so far. All the drivers I have seen around the terminal seem pretty happy and the equipment seems to be pretty nice. I will update again soon.

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Good to hear an update. Thought we lost you there for awhile.

10. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc

11. cjr323

cjr323 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I actually did bring my pt belt. I thought it would come In handy if I were out in the dark loading. They issued us a bunch of stuff though. They gave us a hard hat, gloves, rsflective vest, and a bunch of other stuff to start us off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.