My lease adventure

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Crazytrucker77, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    So here are July's numbers. I have decided to put more focus on my personal life and business life so I will no longer post my numbers on here. I feel that I have proven that you can both make more money as a lease O/O and make one of these programs work. You just have to be patient, do your research, and work hard. I may update what's going on from time to time and will most likely give a breakdown of my first years numbers when that time comes. I want to thank everyone for the advice and well wishes. Everyone be safe out there.

Attached Files:

51.50, dwells40, popcorn169 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I have completed a lease purchase twice and got clear title in my name both times. You have to operate it as a business. No you can't turn down loads because you don't like them. It creates friction with the person planning for you. At the end of the year after you have driven 120, 000+ miles you likely won't remember the bad loads. I found that although I could take my truck and haul where ever I choose, I decided to stay with the company as I had some seniority benefit and didn't want to go somewhere else and start at the bottom of the list.

Crazytrucker77 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Honestly I will most likely stay with this company for awhile. I make good money, get home a lot, and work one area most the time so things are pretty steady. I may not have control over my loads for the most part and get dispatched, but I really like the company and get along with the people there very well. Ultimately finding somewhere you can make a living and be happy is best for you IMO. Not many companies pay as high of a percentage rate on the west coast as far as I know. My company pays 79% if you use their trailer and 89% if you have your own.

jeff18 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    So something happened to me that I think needs to be put in my thread so first a little back story.

When I was looking into hiring a CPA in my local area there were only two or three choices so I decided to go with the one I know personally. I grew up with the son of the owners and have been around this family the majority of my life. They have been doing my personal taxes for many years and I know they are also experienced in trucking taxes so I decided to give them a chance. That might have been a mistake.

Not one time did they sit down with me and advise me on what I can and can't right off. All they did was give me a printout list of things to write off. This list was just basic things for the truck like fluids, repairs, cooking supplies, etc. When I did my first quarterly with them and got a $6,225 bill I decided to get a second opinion. I started talking to some of my fellow drivers in my company to see who they use and called them up.

I just sat down with them Monday for over 2 hours just listening to them give me advice. There was so much information my first CPA did not divulge to me. So I have decided to hire them and they are fixing the mistakes I made due to listening to the first CPA. My company structure is now being put into an LLC rather than just a assumed business name. I have been advised of write offs I didn't know I had such as writing off part of my mortgage and utilities due to having a home office. Writing off my personal pickup payment and expenses due to using it for work purposes. I told the guy I just want to know what all I can write off that I am already paying for to lower my tax liability.

The only bad thing about this place is it's a 75 mile drive to go there but that is ok. The lesson I learned here was to not limit yourself to just a small area when you do business. Driving 75 miles every once in awhile saved me a ton. Also don't get just one opinion because you won't know if your getting duped. So as far as my truck goes things haven't changed. I am still making the same money and have not had any problems with the truck. I actually was able to take a few days off and still went over the $17k mark to the truck.

D.Tibbitt and RedBeardedT Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    They charged you $6000 for one quarter worth of bookkeeping?

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

You did 17k to the truck in August? What were your ALL miles, if you don't mind me asking?

jeff18 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    No I was given a figure of $6225 for what I owed the IRS my first quarter. They didn't charge me anything to do my taxes. $17k was my gross revenue to the truck and my mileage was just under 8800. The rate per mile to the truck was $1.93 all miles. My net to the truck was just under 7k. If you look at the numbers I posted through out this thread you will pick up on a theme of me making around those numbers every month.

popcorn169 and RedBeardedT Thank this.
  8. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Well I had my second break down. Luckily it happened pretty close to home and about 10 miles from the place I get my truck repaired at so I was able to take it there. Ended up being a bad turbo actuator and a bent belt tensioner. My company gave me a loaner truck so I let them keep the truck to get all the maintenance that needed to be done completed. I had them replace both belt tensioners and the belts. The turbo actuator was under warranty and they did a p.m. and valve adjustment. All this came up to just under $1,500

9. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    When l gave my 12.7 it's annual tune up, l always had the throttle position sensor and the crank position sensor replaced. They weren't expensive and the mechanic was in there already. I learned this from having the TPS quit with no warning.

10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.