My May Journal

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Efon, May 31, 2011.

1. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    I decided to start a journal of sorts to track my trips and miles, not only for new guys interested in May, but also for myself. If anyone else would like to add their trip journal of sorts, go ahead. It would be nice to see your journey with May too.

Week #1
    May 25th-May31st

Started the week With a load coming from Othello, WA to Burley, ID. Some sort of frozen potato product. The plant in Othello is a new customer and there were quite a few of our trucks there. Nice to know there is another customer in the southern Washington area. Load picked up on Tuesday and had to be in Burley Wednesday morning. Good thing I have a student on board. Got to Burley an hour ahead of schedule and got a load out of the same plant headed to Denver to finally get my student solo'd out. We get into Denver and deliver our load Friday morning and head back to the yard to enjoy the end of May Days in Denver (Denver had the best last day for May Days, STEAK!) and to solo out my student. I felt bad for the guy when he was taking his solo test since they had invited new prospective students from local schools to come out and run the test course, also quite a few seasoned drivers as well. He took his time and made it through the course no problem, went out on his drive test and came back ...... soloed! I finished up Friday helping him get his stuff out of the truck and did a little spring cleaning and finally got the rest of my crap put away in the new truck. Sat around Saturday in the drivers lounge and finally got a load. Didn't have to pick it up until Sunday going to Fayetteville, AR to deliver on the 31st at 1000. So I got in a reset that I probably didn't need. Oh well. Picked my load up out of Coors on Sunday and the refer would not start. Stupid old Thermoking :)
    I figured I would just send a Breakdown message on Tuesday while I am getting unloaded and get it fixed then since this was not a refrigerated load. Got into Fayetteville on Monday late afternoon and tried to find a spot at the Springdale Pilot (i540 exit 72), didn't happen. You would think at 3pm I could find atleast one spot, but no. So I headed down to Jobo's (i540 exit 58 ) and found a spot there and called it a night. Got up Tuesday morning and sent in my breakdown message for the refer and headed off to the consignee. Got to the consignee and immediately into a dock and unloaded 35 minutes later. Oh how I love beer loads. Usually get unloaded rather quickly. Breakdown gets back to me and tells me to go to Thermoking in Lowell, AR to get refer fixed. Got to Transport Refrigerated of Northwest Arkansas and had them take a look. All it needed was to be primed and the battery charged. Apparently whoever had it last, let it run out of fuel. You cannot escape stupid people where ever you go. The guys at Transport Refrigerated were awesome. Kept me up to speed on the progress of everything and were very courteous. After that was taken care of, I figured I could find a spot at the Pilot in Springdale since it was only 1pm and grab a bite and shower. I come back over to find the lot packed, again, with only 1 spot left open. Hoping for a load out of here sometime tonight or tomorrow so I don't have to sit too long. Time will tell. I didn't get an exact figure for mileage from my first couple trips this week since I was not planning on doing this until just recently. I will put in my last trip and keep better detailed records in the future.

Mileage Driven: 833
    Mileage Paid: 22/783
    Miles Difference: 28 or 3.3%

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSober

TripleSober Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Funny I was at May days! I dont think we met. I was the first student to give the alley dock a shot and totally choked! Oh well luckily I dont have an ego LOL all in good fun.

I did feel really sorry for your student. but I was also really grateful to get the opportunity to see the yard portion of soloing out.

Keep this up! I wish more drivers posted trips like this so newbies get a feel for what a day in the life is like.

Mileage is a bit of a bummer.

4. platinum

platinum Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Efron good post I got my own field log i keep track of in my truck, miles, days driven and truck stops cleanliness and quiet or what hassles I encounter. I keep track of temp inside and outside the truck too and the humidity.

Civilservant Thanks this.
  5. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do you ever find time to drive? :) :)

6. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    It is my experience that those coming into the trucking industry a little later in their life. Those a costume to a certain way of living have one heck of a rude awaking when they realize this is not what they had thought it was at all.

Some stay because of a bad economy, depressed and searching for the tangible results of how and why.. It is a adventure, documenting is one thing. Over analyzing is another, the small problems of the trucking industry if studied to hard will drive you crazy. :)

7. TripleSober

TripleSober Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Anything studied to hard drives me crazy especially if your talking about life in general. :biggrin_2554:

8. platinum

platinum Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I drive, all the hours I can legally.

9. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Good idea I'm gonna start one of these

10. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm just giving ya a hard time there driver. Hence the smilies.

11. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    Proper communication and documentation is the only way to stay successful out here. I keep record of everything I do. I can tell you what I was doing on this day 5, 10 , 15 years ago even. Who I was hauling for, my m.p.g etc. full breakdowns of my trips.

You want to be efficient and that is something no one can ever knock you for. Remember tho, somethings in life you can not put a value on!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.