My May Journal

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Efon, May 31, 2011.

1. justawheelholderfornow

justawheelholderfornow Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    The Bank
    AGAIN...READ THE THREADS/POSTS!!!
    I don't know what threads you're reading...I went to May last year because of the lack of negative information out there..
    I will not say the negative comments on here are untrue, I don't know their situations, but out of 1000 drivers...the same 3-4 actual May drivers (not heresay, 3rd party BS) isn't all that bad of a number.
    I post on here nearly every day...I have ALWAYS averaged 2800/wk even long before I was a trainer.
    I should have 12000+ for November.
    drop/hook...not so much, but we don't get in the trailers...the rare exception being nursery loads, and have always had laborers from the nursery meet me at the Home Depots to unload.

mrbigmann Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mrbigmann

mrbigmann Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2011
    A F UTAH
    thanks for the response justa..... I am negotiating with MTC pretty actively at this time getting pretty close to coming over there.Glad to hear positive news....not a lot of it on here.ROLLSAFE.

4. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Wow, there has been 5 pages of posts with no update from me. I know I have been slacking on updates, but did not think it was 5 weeks worth either. Anyway, I'm just going to post the past 5 weeks with mile totals. I did take roughly 7 days off for hometime and to get home for a doctor's appointment.

Weeks #22, 23, 24, 25 and 26
    October 19th - November 22nd

Miles These Weeks:
    Miles Driven: 10885
    Miles Paid: 10468
    Miles Difference: 417 or 3.8%

Miles Total:
    Miles Driven: 55553
    Miles Paid: 53585
    Miles Difference: 1968 or 3.5%

5. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Week 27
    Nov 22nd - Nov 28th

This week started out well. After being able to drop my load early at Smuckers in Fairburn, GA, I got a pre-plan out of Decatur, AL to keep me busy over the holiday. I also was able to snag a brand new trailer - #1447 to go along with it.

I picked up Wednesday at 1330 and was able to make it to West Memphis, fuel and spend the night. The next day, Thanksgiving, I made it into Oklahoma City, OK and met up with some friends to spend the holiday with. On Sunday I got to City of Industry, CA and got permission to drop my load in our drop yard there. It was not supposed to deliver until 1330 on Tuesday. I then headed over to Fontana to wait for a load. Monday morning I get a load of orange juice headed to Woodburn, OR. Not a bad week at all. Got to drop 2 loads early and was able to get over 3k miles.

Miles This Week:
    Miles Driven: 3258
    Miles Paid: 3160
    Miles Difference: 98 or 3.0%

Miles Total:
    Miles Driven: 58811
    Miles Paid: 56745
    Miles Difference: 2066 or 3.5%

maldaddy Thanks this.
  6. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Week 28
    Nov 29th - Dec 6th

This week started out well again. Maybe this is going to be the norm for a while (crosses fingers). While I was getting unloaded at WinCo in Woodburn, I got a load to pick up out of McMinnville, OR going to Meridian, ID. A ncie short run that delivers Thursday at 1200. I have been to this consignee before and know that they take deliveries at 0800. Thursday morning I get there at 0930 and they unload me within the hour. After cleaning my trailer and dragging my feet I finally get a pre-plan to pick out of Ontario, OR at the Americold.

The thing is, this load is supposed to pick up at 1200. I don't get it until 1230. I know there will be a late fee to pay. I don't understand why I got this load late, unless another driver had it and they couldn't make it. Who knows. I get there and am told there is a $100 late fee. Get the fee paid and now I am a work in. At 1500, they call me and give me a door. Guess it was a slow day anyways :) at 1700 I am out of there on my way to the pilot to get scaled. Scale out fine and I am on my way to Orlando, FL. A nice 2750 mile run that delivers on Wednesday, December 7th at 0200. Not a bad gig at all. The only problem is that I am going to be short 3 hours to make delivery. I got with my DM and let her know before I accepted the pre-plan, but was told to pick it up and roll. She would see what CSR wanted to do.

Well, Friday comes and I fuel at Layton. I never hear back so I keep going. I get into Cheyenne, WY after an hour or so in the snow. Saturday morning comes, don't hear anything, so I keep going. After only being able to do 400 miles, due to fun ice and snow in Nebraska, I shut down in York, NE. Sunday morning, still nothing, so I make my way into Missouri. Monday morning I send another message to my DM about being late and was told to continue running with a possible swap in Atlanta. Monday night I end up south of Nashville, TN and shut it down. Tuesday morning I get a message that delivery has been re-scheduled for Thursday morning at 0100. Sweet. I can stay on this load and get some extra miles in. Im only going to post what I got paid for since this load won't deliver until Thursday. I could of called payroll and maybe they would of put it on this week's check, but it is not a big deal to me. I will just get a bigger check next week.

Miles This Week:
    Miles Driven: 509
    Miles Paid: 506
    Miles Difference: 3 or .05%

Miles Total:
    Miles Driven: 59320
    Miles Paid: 57251
    Miles Difference: 2069 or 3.5%

7. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Week 29
    Dec 7th - Dec 13th

So I get my load in Orlando delivered Wendnesday night and make it to a truck stop before my appointment time. Gotta love getting in early. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it sure is sweet.

I get a pre-plan Thursday morning to pick a pre-loaded trailer out of Macon, GA Friday afternoon. So much for having a good day today. Macon is only 340 miles from Orlando. At least it is pre-loaded. This load also has two extra stops on it so I do get a little extra pay. It is going to St. Louis Park, MN for stop 1. Sioux Falls, SD for stop 2. Then off to Rapid City, SD for stop 3. Not a bad run in all at a little over 2200 miles. The last stop delivers Tuesday morning so I will be able to get this load on this weeks check.

I get to Macon Friday afternoon and check in. Told to go around back to shipping. I get back there and there is 4 loaded May trailers. Three of the four are on brand new refers. Guess which one I get? I get the older trailer. Oh well, can't have em new all the time. I get my trailer and go to a nearby moving company and scale out. Everything is good and I hit the road. I end up parking Sunday night at the my first stop. Monday I make two deliveries and stop at the Bosselman's in Rapid City, SD with 10 min to spare on my 11 hour clock. Tuesday morning I make my final delivery.

All in all, not a bad week. With the miles from the Orlando run tacked on this week, almost makes up for last week. Averaging the two weeks puts me at 2667/week.

Miles This Week:
    Miles Driven: 5059
    Miles Paid: 4828
    Miles Difference: 231 or 4.5%

Miles Total:
    Miles Driven: 64379
    Miles Paid: 62079
    Miles Difference: 2330 or 3.6%

8. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Week #30
    December 14th - 20th

This week begins with a recovery load out of Billings, MT. The load has one drop in Indiana and two drops in Ohio. I tell them my PTA to my first stop and they schedule for Friday morning. I then get a message that they scheduled the second stop Friday night. I gave a ETA to second stop for Saturday morning since I have yet to get a 34 hour reset since I came out this time. So it gets rescheduled to Monday morning and the thirds stop, 107 miles away, scheduled for Tuesday morning. This load is starting to be a big pain in the ###. I know I am recovering the load and it has to be rescheduled, but a full week for a 2100 mile load is ridiculous. The best part is that the load sat in Billings, MT from Saturday night until I picked it up Tuesday afternoon. Why they could get nobody else there to pick it up is beyond me.

After my final delivery Tuesday morning, I got a load to head back to north of Cincinnati to the Miller/Coors plant to grab a load to swap out for a driver to get home to New York for Christmas. Due to the great planning of logistics, I was an hour late for pickup and in turn, sat there for almost 7 hours waiting to get loaded. My final delivery on my last load was at 0500 and I was supposed to pick this load up at 0730 110 miles away. We are supposed to give 2 hours for unloading before we can set PTA. I told my DM I was going to be late, in turn, was told "But, you are showing available at 0700. Why are you going to be late?" Anyways, I finally got loaded and contacted the other driver to let him know I was running low on my 14 and we needed to find a different spot to swap at. We finally met up north of Columbus at the pilot in Marengo, OH and swapped out.

Miles This Week:
    Miles Driven: 2354
    Miles Paid: 2348
    Miles Difference: 6 or .3%

Miles Total:
    Miles Driven: 66733
    Miles Paid: 64427
    Miles Difference: 2336 or 3.5%

9. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    I always love when they say " but it shows you avail at 0700" yea you re avail from the spot you re getting uinloaded at at 7 not 110 miles away. Fun stuff

10. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Week #31
    December 21st - 27th

I start this week with a pre-plan out of New Concord, OH to Loveland, CO. I love going to New Concord since it is drop hook and the miles are usually pretty good. I get there and drop hook to a new trailer. I got a little over 2 days to do 1400+ miles. Not a bad run at all. I get to Loveland, CO and deliver at the sams club an hour early. While sitting there I get a load to pick up out of Budweiser in Fort Collins that I am to drop in Layton so a driver can take to Portland so he can go home for Christmas. I don't mind dropping in Layton to help a driver get home.

On my way to Layton I get a load to re-power out of Layton going to the Safeway distribution center in Denver for a late Monday night delivery. I ask if I can drop in Denver Sunday morning on Christmas so I can keep moving. I don't need to be home for Christmas since I was planning on home time later in the week for New Year's and my Mom's birthday. I get told twice "No go on the drop, we NEED you to deliver this load." I then ask "There is nobody that is coming off home time Monday that would like to stay home another day and deliver Monday night?" I promptly get another reply - "NO". Well, Sunday morning I meet up with my parents for breakfast at Johnson's Corner in Johnstown, CO. If you have never stopped there before, do it. Grab a cinamon roll and enjoy! Anyway, I make it to Denver monday night around 1830 and deliver at Safeway. I don't get out of there until near 0130 Tuesday morning. I made my way to the Denver yard which is over flowing. I find a spot Tuesday morning to drop my trailer and and go in to talk to my DM. I was told that there were drivers sitting most of the day Monday waiting on a load. Nobody to cover my ###. The best part was I got a call at 0430 that showed up as unknown so I didn't answer it. Night dispatch needed me to do a "favor" and delvier a local load early Tuesday morning. Well, I was running out of my 14 so I couldnt of done it anyways. But, someone else got drop their load ..... I then went on hometime for the rest of the year.

Miles This Week:
    Miles Driven: 2505
    Miles Paid: 2341
    Miles Difference: 164 or 6.6%

Miles Total:
    Miles Driven: 69238
    Miles Paid: 66768
    Miles Difference: 2500 or 3.6%

I also ended the year at 116464 miles total. I think that is miles paid, but that is almost 30k less than what I got last year. I only trained 7 guys this year compared to 11 last year. It is ridiculous that since I didn't train for roughly half the year, I get 30k less miles. For the 31 weeks I did this blog, I averaged 2154 miles/week. Just sad. I think its time for me to move on.

11. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az

I totally agree with the bs of trying to drop, when sometimes it seems like they never ask due to the fact that you get a negative response right away. But im not sure how many miles i ran this year but i know i ve ran 72,000 since june when i got my new truck and would assume another 40-50k jan thru may so im right there with you on the miles and i only trained 2 guys.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.