My Millis Experience -

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Baritone, May 16, 2010.

1. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Well I arrived at the Holiday Inn - which is very nice I must admit with a refridg and microwave and WiFi. Waiting on my roommate to show up so I can met the person I am spending the next 3 weeks with LOL. Did a little trip to the Cartersville yard to ensure I know where I am going in the morning and then stopped and got some dinner. So now here I sit.....Pretty excited to get started tomorrow.

I'll update more after Day 1 is in the books!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tacodog

tacodog Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    elgin, il
    Good luck! You are 2 weeks ahead of me. I start in Richfield on June 1st.

BIGG PHILL and xllxmrjohnxllx Thank this.
  4. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    glad to see you made it there with no hiccups... keep us up to date!

xllxmrjohnxllx Thanks this.
  5. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Well the first day is in the books. Normal paperwork and crap like that. There are 4 of us in the class and doesnt appear any of us have experience. Greg is our instructor and he seems very knowledgeable and very easy to talk too.

After paperwork we spent the rest of the day covering basic rules, company policy, signed our life away, basic understanding of logs and trip planning. Oh did I mention we signed more paperwork than what I saw when I bought my house.

Tomorrow will be more trip planning and should start our turn on the Millis 500 - driving around the yard. Looking forward to that.

So far everyone made it though the first day. More to come.............

bigcove and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  6. srick773

srick773 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    good luck baritone. greg is a great instructor. Tell him Nunya says hi, and if you meet Jughead tell him to. When you get the chance, go to the second half sports bar beside the hotel. when you do order the Jamaican jerk chicken wings, you will not be disapointed.

7. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I'll tell Greg in the morning you said hello! I assume you drive for Millis now? Do you get by the Cartersville terminal? If so, stop in and say hi!

8. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Day 2 -

WOW - what a humbling day it was. It started with some really boring video's and then we started the Millis 500. Got that down pretty quickly and even Greg was impressed with my ability to double clutch so well.

We spent about 2 hrs doing that before the real "truth" set in. Greg decided to take us down to Palmetto GA for a day trip. Understand we spent the Millis 500 in older Freightliners. However our trip was going to be in a 05' KW T2000. I was excited and when it came to our turn to drive - I immediately stood up offering to go first. What a mistake that was. (well not really but very eye opening)

You would think I never stepped foot in a truck and didnt just finish 2 hrs driving around the yard. I couldnt seem to double clutch to save my life and down shifting was like a foreign word to me for some reason. There was stop signs, traffic on I75 then two lane back roads and many hills. By the time I got down for my turn driving, I was completely worn out. I had a complete misunderstanding of what it took to drive a truck. I have a new found respect for anyone driving now.

All in all - was a great day and everyone seemed to have the same issues as me. Greg assured us that these are normal things and we just have to learn to relax, go slow, stop trying to drive the truck like a car and we will be fine. I will say, Greg has the patience of a saint and one hell of a great attitude also.

Tomorrow will be another road trip and PTI. Until tomorrow...............

9. hindsy

hindsy Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2010
    USA
    Sounds like you're still having fun! I'm starting at Roehl come the 14th of June... So watch for me down the road. I'll be the guy on the skateboard... lol

xllxmrjohnxllx and BEE CEE Thank this.
  10. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Sounds good - if all goes as planned I am set to graduate on June 9th and then it's off with a trainer for 35 days. It's only been two days - but loving it so far!

11. tacodog

tacodog Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    elgin, il
    Well that sounds like quite a day Baritone. I am getting pumped just hearing what you have to say. Isn't it a great feeling knowing that you got through that first trip. Keep up the good work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.