My Millis Experience -

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Baritone, May 16, 2010.

1. Sully72

Sully72 Medium Load Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Northern, NY
    Hey Spanky, Baritone or any other millis driver that would like to offer some advice. I was wondering which pay option you feel is the best fit? I am a ways away from having to make that decision as I don't even start scool for a coupke of weeks but I like to be prepared when possible. I have the notion that non-perdiem/practical is the way to go. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the insight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spanky

spanky Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    in my opinion non perdiem practical is best but by the tine you had the 2 cents on for short route there is not more difference. only advantage is you will get to your mileage bonus quicker which can make a difference of getting it or not.

smokies276 and Sully72 Thank this.
  4. smalltown44

smalltown44 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    After you make the choice, are you able to change it at some point?

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  5. spanky

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    at one time they were letting you change it after six months but i am not sure how long you to change it now maybe baritone will be on soon and answer that better for you.

6. Bigmook86

Bigmook86 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2010
    anderson,sc
    I thought i wanted to go to central but know im calling the recruiter for millis tomorrow!!!!! GOOD THREAD!!!!!!

7. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    You are correct Sir......as it was explained to me. I actually took the per-diem and practical. So far I have gotten into the mileage bonus each week.

In my opinion - it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Just depends on your tax's and what's more important to you (getting a bigger return or more on each check).

8. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Well another week is in the books (well sorta)............

After the Bronx run-in I was hoping for some midwest runs or something of that nature but it was short lived.

DH to Cherokee AL, (Love that little town - right on the water) and grabbed a load to Cartersville. Got it there that same night and did a favor (remember that) and ran another load down to Newan the next morning for a 7am Delivery.

Sit me immediately over to East Point and snagged load right back to the NE to Ridgeway, VA. Easy run going northeast this time at least. Once I delivered DH to Eden, NC (terminal) and grabbed a load going to Montgomery NY. Another trip to NY. I swear if I have seen way too much of NY the past few weeks. At least it was much cooler in Upstate - never had to idle while there and loved the cool breeze at night.

DH over to Baldwinsville to AB to grab a load going to Macon, GA. Now here is there the fun starts........Get unloaded early in the morning in Montgomery but my load at AB isnt to be ready until 6pm on Thursday with a delivery date of Saturday at 7AM. Told dispatch that if it's not ready early then there is no way I can make the delivery at 7am. Had hours to run but sitting waiting on AB was eating them up quickly.

Well as you know you call the AB number and keep hearing the same thing......"that order number has NOT BEEN LOADED! Finally at 7:00PM EST I get my confirmation that its loaded. So I do the AB 500 looking for my trailer. No where to be found - well I found it - but it's still in the dock. No ones moving it so I pull over too it - get ready to back up to the trailer - well that got them moving! NO - DONT TOUCH THAT TRAILER I HEAR. WE'LL MOVE IT FOR YOU. Ok moron - I knew that but it took me to act like I was going to move it to get you off your ### to do it. So there goes another 30 to 45 minutes blown waiting for them to move it away from the dock.

Finally get rolling but now only have about 1:30 left to roll today. Send another QC message and let them know - no way to make the delivery on time. Ask for it to be reset for later on Saturday - I should be able to get it there around 12Noon on Saturday. I get a response - do the best you can and let me know on Friday how you're doing. I roll to just over the PA line and shut it down with about 25 minutes to spare.

Get up at the "butt crack of dawn" and start rolling the second my clock said I could legally move. Ran hard all day on Friday - sent another message that I feel good I can get it there by 12 noon on Saturday. Run a full 11 hrs driving today and get into SC and shut down. Also had a guy blow a tire infront of me and I couldnt miss the "gator" which I didnt know, until I stopped - got caught up in my quarter fender on the drives and broke the quarter fender. It's still there and attached well - just has a huge crack in it and needs to be replaced.

Was able to meet an old friend for dinner and gabbed a movie and even got some laundry done. Get up again as soon as I am legal to roll - and get caught in some serious nasty weather at the GA line. Slows me down a bit but roll up to the delivery site at 12:17PM. Pull into receiving and walk in. Just as I do I am met at the door and I hear - "you aint gotta go home but you gotta get out of here"! We closed and see those three other drivers standing at the door - they were ahead of you and I aint unloading them either. He sets the alarm and all but pushes me out the door. Needless to say I am slightly PISSED!

He say's check back tomorrow after 3PM and we'll see if they can unload you then. I send a QC message explaining the situation and I get -
    "you were supposed to be there at 7AM". Now I am really pissed. I sent it back saying I told you I couldnt get it here before now yesterday. I get back a message that say's...."you were mislead - sorry. Will have to try to deliver tomorrow" WHAT................

I send it back asking for a confirmation that they will unload me and I get - We'll I think they are open at 6pm you can try then. Sorry for this. I know it may not matter to some - but I dont want this late load being "tagged" on me. I know how the miles slow down if you cant deliver on time. I dont want that rep.

I appreciate the "sorry" but WTF! I suck it up and head over to a local TS right down the road and park. No more than 20 seconds after parking I get bombarded with Lot Lizards and panhandlers. - Not going to work for me - So I grab my IPhone and find the closest Pilot, Flying J or TA and headed about 12 miles away to the Pilot for the night.

Will run over there at 3PM and see if they will unload me tomorrow. I had a preplan already for a load from WR to Sam Adams in Cinn. Which would allowed me to run by the house since I havent been by there in about 30 days - NOPE! I just hope I can get unloaded tomorrow and still grab that load of glass going to SA. Didnt deliver till Tuesday but can drop it in Trenton on Monday.

Only good thing is I was atleast able to get a hair cut (was looking like a Chia Pet and needed one bad) and some much needed shopping while stuck here in Macon. Got a new microwave and an electic skillet. So now have those plus my crock pot, GF and rice cooker - made an awesome dinner and now just relaxing enjoying some coffee.

I guess this is the part of trucking that SUCKS! But still beats the Corporate World by a long shot.

Here's he pic of the "Turtles" Bling Bling........

Hope everyone is safe and has a great weekend!

Attached Files:

9. spanky

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    i have only been to that ab regional ware house once and had about the same problem. they rescheduled my delivery and never bothered to tell millis and then accused me of being late. millis just had me give the trailer to another driver who was low on hours and let him deliver later that night.

10. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky

Well I sure wish that would have happened. Here I sit until at least 4PM Sunday evening. I am loosing big time sitting here!

11. pontiacman

pontiacman Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I would imagine Boomer08 that Millis has a high turnover just like any other over-the-road trucking company. So of course they have that many openings a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.