My Millis Experience -

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Baritone, May 16, 2010.

1. curlyjoe06

curlyjoe06 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2009
    wonder lake il
    i was wondering if millis would take me, i am from illinois but i do have my cdl already. i dont have any experience. would i have to go through the school or go right with a driver trainer? how long is the training period? after your done with the driver trainer what is the test to get your own truck like?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Most likely they would take you with the CDL. You will still have to go through their training program. 3 weeks of course work and then 5 weeks with an OTR Trainer. If you make it through that -then you will have a driving test to obtain your own truck.

My test lasted about 30 minutes. Just drop a little on side streets, highway and city streets. More of a skills overview than anything else. Nothing like a CDL test but you have to do it right! It's no big deal though.

Call recruiting and talk to them - they will answer any questions you may have.

4. spanky

spanky Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    baritone they wont do that c service till you are due your next b service

5. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    That works for me - There is another sticker in the window also that says "K (something else that I cant make out) which shows mileage due at 457,156. Not sure what that is but I am sure they will let me know.

6. spanky

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    probally one of the kenworth premiere care stickers they use with mileage for the next b service

7. Millisjcw

Millisjcw Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Gary,Indiana
    baritone, during your 5weeks withyour trainer did u ever get to go home when your trainer had time or how did that go, did they put u in a hotel or what

8. spanky

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    if you live close to your trainer you can go home when he does if not you usually stay in the truck at the truck stop. some trainers will stay out the whole time so you dont have to stay in the truck

9. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    That pretty much sums it up. The day I left out with my trainer he was heading for home time. We drove to Knoxville that day (Friday) and we parked at a Pilot. He went home and I stayed in the truck for two days.

Sucked at first but used that time to get acustom to the truck and so on. Other than that he only stopped at home one other night. I took 2 days during the 4th of July Holiday as did my trainer. Other than that - I stayed out for the full 5 weeks.

I met up with another student that I went through training with and he was still with his trainer 30 days after I had gone solo. But that was due to home time he took and getting past his CDL test and all. Just talked to him yesterday and he's rolling solo now.

It really depends on what you work out with your trainer.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  10. Baritone

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Man the days are becoming a blur since I went solo. I have really had some good runs and even done some (favors) at times when needed.

This week started last Sunday after visiting with my son, headed up to West Allis, WI and dropped my load there. Got a 2 stop run from West Allis to Stamford, CT and then Walllingford, CT. (extra stop pay for that second stop)!

Then DH (as I figured) to Cacasdes in Versailles, CT with a load going right back to Chicago. Ran my ##### off to get it there. Stopped for the night about 70 miles outside of Chicago last night and figured I would get up early and try to miss some of the traffic. Stayed the night at a Service Plaza and there were two other Millis drivers there also. Couldnt seem to see or find them - but low and behold, as I was getting unloaded they showed up at the same place. Started talked to them and each had a earlier delivery time than mine yet they were late and both came from a much less distance than I did. Not sure how that works - but they can worry about that. My delivery was set at 9AM. However being Chicago traffic - I left at 6am and was sitting at the receiver at 7:30AM for my 9:00Am appointment.

Once unloaded - I get a QC message saying "want a load that delivers Monday and runs you by the house"? Ummmm, let me see - been out 35 days......Ummm Hell Yea I'll take it.

So DH to Burlington, WI and grabbed a load going to Chattnooga, TN. Dont have enough hrs to get all the way to Lexington tonight - so here I sit the Pilot on 74. Will run the 3 hrs home early in the morning.

Think I will stop off of 75S and get the truck washed in the morning. Want to get a coat of cleaner wax on it. The paint is in really good shape but needs to be buffed out in a few places. I know - that crazy talk since I am a company driver - but hey - it's my home and I take care of it as if it's my own truck.

Also - got switched from my original dispatcher yesterday to another one. Was told all new hires start with him and when they feel comfortable with you and your ability to run - they move you. Hope they werent blowing smoke up my A_ _ !

Just an overview of my miles since solo (for those who doubted my posts eariler)

Since July 20th - I have run 17,045 miles in about 5 weeks (give or take a few days) and even counting the time I took when my son came home. It works out to about 3.409 per week. In August I have run thus far 12,071 miles. This does include the run I will complete on Monday.

So no matter what some think - the miles are there and the money comes with the miles. I wont get rich - but I am not complaining in the least.

Be safe and hope everyone has a great weekend!

11. spanky

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    baritone if you are taking glass to chattanooga stop before you get there and slide your tandems up as you will have two very tight right turns to make going there. they arent blowing smoke at you either everybody starts with one of two dispatchers then when they feel comfortable with your driving they move you to your permenant dispatcher.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.