My NEW driver training at Prime!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FamilyMan2013, Feb 19, 2013.

1. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    It is hard to imagine Greyhound sinking that low. Mom took us 5 kids, ages 2, 7, 10, 11, 12, from Gary, IN to El Centro, CA in 67. We broke down in St Louis and had to switch buses. Drivers were all great and helpful, even one stopped in a small town for mom to run into a grocery store to purchase some items. I believe we rode on the last leg from Albequerque with chickens on the bus even, oh wow.

Perhaps people need to complain to Greyhound and let them know of all that has gone on. I guess unprofessionalism reaches all venues now days and it is such a shame.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I can't wait to see Family Man's video of that driver. Sounds like he has a real chip on his shoulder and needs to be put in his place. A long letter to Greyhound corporate is what is needed but knowing First Transit owns them doubt it will do any good. They are the CR England of the bus world.

I don't understand why trucking companies don't just fly students/new drivers out to the locations instead of putting them through that hell. It's really not that much more than a Greyhound ticket especially if they get a corporate discount.

4. snowman1

snowman1 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Clarksville, Tn
    Wow that is quite the adventure. I took a bus once from Wisconsin to Washington DC. It wasn't quite that bad but I feel your pain.

5. snowman1

snowman1 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Clarksville, Tn
    Thanks Family Man for taking the time to post all of the details of your very sad bus trip and what sounds like great training. I am trying to get to Prime around September or October and your posts are a great help on what to look forword too.:biggrin_25514:

6. Bigdubber

Bigdubber Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    Is taking the bus the ONLY option given to people heading out to Prime Training? Drive their own vehicle there? Or fly out there?

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Answers to questions like this are in the thread...

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...27-new-prime-inc-what-expect-springfield.html

We got it pinned to the top of the Prime forum so y'all would find it! In answer to this question, Prime will reimburse you the cost of that Grey Dawg ticket for an airline ticket or driving your personal vehicle to Springfield - let your recruiter know this is how you'll be getting there. There is a secure parking lot at the terminal. Of course, once it's there, your car won't be available back home when you get some hometime....

8. mdmedicgod

mdmedicgod Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2012
    salisbury, MD
    You may drive or fly. However, prime will not cover the enitre cost of a flight but, in my case it was about half. So I am flying

Bigdubber Thanks this.
  9. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Can a rookie go straight into tanker work? If so i would skip that van/reefer BS and go straight to tanker or flatbed...

Goodluck.

AZS Thanks this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Sure... if a tanker INSTRUCTOR happens to be available. Training (TnT) is about learning how to safely maneuver a CMV, a skill you don't need to be pulling a tanker to learn.

briarhopper Thanks this.
  11. Bigdubber

Bigdubber Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    Thanks ironpony. I have read every single page in this thread (granted it is possible I missed it, due to so much information to glean!) but I did not find any reference to the transportation question, other than "... Most of you will be riding the dog (Greyhound) from wherever you are to our terminal." Which is why I was asking for further information. If the answer is back in there, somewhere, my send my sincere apology. I understand that it can be irritating if I appear to be asking a question that has already been answered.

Be safe and God bless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.