My new trailer

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Jun 12, 2020.

1. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Picked up my new trailer and giving it a 9.7/10 score.
    Rides awesome. Sturdy and steady. No flex at all.
    Trailer brakes stop wayyyyy better than my old wedge.
    Trailer weighs 8500 lbs.
    Build quality is very good. All welds look good. I spent over an hour going over every inch before I even hooked up.

Had a good week after sitting home for 3 months. 1800 all miles for $4100. Finally can take those 9'3" sprinters. 12'6" overall height on the front one. Great clearance. Brokers complimented my trailer which never happened before.

I'm happy with my purchase and will update in a few months to see how it holds up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alds, patsy, autopaint and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Nice set-up you got there, all the best to you...

4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Nice move!! :thumbup: Seems like a much more versatile wagon than a wedge could have ever hoped too be..

I have too ask. Did you already swap out the 16" duals for 17.5"..? LoL

Looks like you have a solid wheel on the outer ditch side, & 4 hand hole duals on the road side.? I know you have never been a 16" fan, •BUT• if you have 14ply's with the steel sidewall ply, they are actually pretty decent. As long as you stay 65mph or under when heavy, & hot ambient temps..

You may have already upgraded, but if not, I'll leave you with how I operated on 16" rubber to keep them alive. This might be more cautious than needed, but changing trailer tires on the side of the highway gets old fast..

My personal strategy..

--I had Samson GL285t. 105psi, speed rated L 75mph. 3960lb single, 3525lb dual. 3525×8 28,200lbs. My personally set limit was 75% capacity (~21k lbs) or more, 65 mph top speed. When the ambient temp dips back down to 70°f, or below you can go 68-70mph loaded up to 75%.
    -- Real hot weather, 95° or more, back er down a tad more when heavy. If I had say 23,500lbs on the tandem, I'd slow to 60-62mph..
    --Again, these are just my personal suggestions. When I finally switched from 10ply-14ply my tire issues ended. Had them 2 years, & still on trailer when I traded it, 0 failures..

Sorry about my tire ramblings. :D LoL. I just recalled you dont like 16's. Figured if I could help you make it through the summer, (heat is the killer) they will breeze through the fall, winter, & spring. Get your monies worth out of them at least..

Again, nice buy! :thumbright: I hope you have a much better experience than you did with texas pride..

patsy, 24kHotshot and clausland Thank this.
  5. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I don't know what this means.

I chose to have 16" 14 plys on the trailer this time to drop a couple inch off the height of the trailer. Should be enough rating to haul what I need them to. Trailer is rated for 24k and truck gcvwr will be lowered from 41k to 38k. Truck and trailer weigh 18,500 ish so I will probably never reach the 38k rating.
    I run 65 mph or less regularly. I'm not in a hurry.

First week much better experience so far. Easy load and strap, no ladder needed like the wedge. Also, the 2 sprinter vans paid very well (The reason for buying this trailer) and trailer felt very stable with them on it. The 2 pickup trucks and the Jeep where my heaviest load this week, around 14k lbs and felt awesome.

Need ramp extensions or longer loading ramps, the tail is a bit high and 8 ft ramps don't give me enough clearance for low cars. Funny, the MKX scraped the skirt under the front bumper while loading while the VW bug got on the trailer easily with no scraping. Go figure lol.

patsy, clausland and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  6. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    The only thing that annoys me on this trailer is the ramp storage in the rear. The tube holding my flipout extensions stick out and make taking out the ramps annoying. Got to keep pulling the bars out. I'll find a welder to move the ramp frames closer together.
    [​IMG]

clausland and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I am only using my phone to view the pics, but for some reason the passenger (ditch) side wheels looks more like this too me. The top pic.. Solid, with no hand holes. It could just be the angle of the pic.? But is also what had me think you may be running a single 17.5" instead of duals..

wvi-12681204.jpg

Whereas the road (driver) side clearly looks more like this. The traditional 4 hand hole 16" dual wheel most of us hotshot hands are familiar with..

16-wheel-rim-dual-wheel-8-lug-4-hholes-29587-89221.jpg

clausland and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  8. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    The tube holding the flips in place. What if you inserted it the opposite way 180°. So the mushroom end is on the ramp storage side, & the bolt & cotter key are on the trailer outside edge instead. Might give you the clearance to get the ramps in & out easier..?

Also a quick fix to lessen the load angle. Maybe get two 2"×8" or 2"×10" boards about 3' or 4' long & lay em in front of the ramps to give a wee bit better angle.?

Does seem like 10' or 12' ramps might be more appropriate for this wagon..

Also, very smart. Being able to take a couple of those high top van's at a time will help to up your mileage rate substantially.! :thumbup:

9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Now I understand, they are 4 hand hole rims all around, just a bad camera angle.

The tube would still slide side to side. I'm gonna stop by the trailer manufacturer and have them move the brackets closer together.

Because of the angle of the brakcets holding the ramps fitting 10-12 ft ramps would stick out. Was planning on getting a pair of these: 5ft Layover Ramp Extenders (Pair of 60"Lx15" x2")- Shipping Included
    and strap them to the truck bed. Would also help me break the top ramp angle if needed to load a low car.

I can take 2 high roof and a third low roof sprinter at the same time and 3 mid length sprinters length wise. I stick to Vans, trucks and SUVs. Easy to find them for at least $1 a mile. The 2 pickup trucks in the second pic paid $1200 for 450 miles :cool:

clausland and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  10. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

Layover ramp extender. That's awesome.!! Never seen those before, & at 22lbs they seem great. I may have to snag myself a pair. Some of the f550's I haul just barely high center when trying to use just my 8' ramps. The PTO, & air compressor fittings drag. Forcing me to pull out the stands, & 2 more 94lb 8' ramps for 16' total. Not bad in winter, but sucks when it 95° with 90% humidity in the swamp, LoL..

Yeah, I see what you mean about the flipper tubes. Having the ramp storage adjusted to the inside is probably the best way to go. It's always something. LoL :rolleyes: One minor detail gets overlooked, & it makes life hell..

Oh I totally get it with those sprinters. Being able to specialize in any freight market will set yourself apart from the pack. Plus why tiedown 4 cars when 2 vans pays more!! :D

11. baerpath

baerpath Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2019
    On your ramp problem. Do the rods slide inside of the tubes ? Do the ramps clear if the rods are pushed out ? If so I'd redrill the bolt holes in tighter and cut the extra off

singlescrewshaker and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.