My new trailer

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Jun 12, 2020.

1. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Here is a picture describing what I meant.
    I have some low cars bottoming out on the top angle. When I say low cars I am not talking about a Lamborghini, I had a kia optima, and a chevy uplander wheel chair van bottom out for example. Its not just height but wheel base that also can cause a vehicle to bottom out. I have a 2 inch lip welded on the insides I will be grinding them down about 2 feet in each direction from the top angle and hope it helps with the clearance.
    I am considering finding some one to mod my trailer by getting rid of the 6" box holding the kingpin and welding the kingpin to the trailer and then flattening out a little bit more on the top and bottom angle and this trailer will be 100% perfect. Will the trailer be structurally compromised?

Other than this the trailer is solid. It drives very well, and feels very sturdy. All welds look good and apart from this little issue I have no complaints.

[​IMG]

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Oh I see what you mean. So it would be up around 48" then without the 6" drop box.

I wouldn't mess with it IMO. As long as you get at least one higher clearance vehicle it can go in front or worst case use the ramps.

4. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    So dragged that trailer 13,000 miles since I bought it and so far so good. All axles seem equally warm at the end of the day. No oil leaks from the hubs. If they ever do leak I'll convert to grease.
    Decided instead of further customizing the trailer I just wont be hauling any extremely low cars. I make most of my money off vans, suvs and pickup trucks anyway.

One trouble I have been having though is it seems the kingpin plate is eating up my 5th wheel. My 5th wheel gets fresh grease every weekend. Took off all the grease and put on a lube plate instead. After a week running a lube plate it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I think I'll be getting the Tulga 5th wheel installed when it goes back in stock and smooth out the kingpin plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  5. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Man I love your setup

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  6. tola

tola Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2020
    It looks great

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.