My orientation with Schneider

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by TurtlesLikeI, Jun 6, 2017.

1. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Alright, seems some people are interested. It's the OC in Phoenix and the motel is the Holiday Inn. It's insanely hot so expect anything done outside to be miserable and don't underestimate the sun. Sunscreen is an absolute must and protective clothing is a plus. Below will be edited for each day, feel free to ask any questions.

Day 1: The shuttle, which is just a school bus, arrived around 0530 and we left around 0545. The breakfast at the motel was just some packaged fruit, greek yogurt and pastries. Once there we did loads of paperwork and everyone was cycled through the physical and pre-work screening (PWS), during which we lost two people. The physical was pretty standard, not as in depth as I expected. I'm pretty thin so there was no mention of sleep apnea stuff but ask your recruiter how they handle it if you "fail" the neck measurement because I'm not sure. The PWS was very easy and you can find a video of all the tests done at Schneider's website. They check your heart rate after each test and you're out if it's above a certain number calculated by your age. For me (I'm 31), that number was 170 and I didn't go over 100 once. Lunch was Subway. The general atmosphere seems very relaxed, the instructors pick on each other and there's lots of laughs, but safety is stressed big time and there's no joking there. Schneider does things their way and they make sure you know that's how you're going to do it or you're not going work there. During downtime they had us read some chapters with quizzes at the end, but they didn't collect or grade them. At the end of the day we watched a couple videos and then everyone got their safety vests (free) and boots if needed ($35 from your first paycheck). The first day is unpaid. Every day after that is $80 or $10.50 an hour for California residents. You'll be expected to have a flashlight (not from your phone) and gloves. More to come!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Reason for edit: Day 1
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. U.S. Otriad

U.S. Otriad Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2017
    I am, actually. I have a telephone interview tomorrow with one of their recruiters.
    I'm not a big company kind of guy but they're offering an opportunity too hard to pass up ... let me know what you learn!

4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    this is good. they make periodic changes. can be hard to keep up.

pay attention. ask questions. avoid drinking alcohol for the next 3 weeks. this is one long interview.

Puppage, AM14, scythe08 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Can you please let us know which terminal (or as Schneider calls them, O.C.= Operating Center)
    Best of luck to you. For a Mega, Schneider is a great choice. If you can stand the nannyness, and the WTF moments, they offer great training and ALOT of different things to do including (grabs cup of tea, puts little pinky out,and puts nose in the air) Tanking, or Bulk as they call it, which, by the way, is loads better than being a door swinger. (Throws cup over shoulder and runs like hell)

6. U.S. Otriad

Jun 4, 2017
    So how's it going for you so far? Which terminal are you at?

7. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Edited the OP with day 1. Pretty uneventful.

U.S. Otriad Thanks this.
  8. U.S. Otriad

Jun 4, 2017
    The boots & vest; do you HAVE to buy theirs or can you provide your own? Do the boots require safety toes? Thanks!

9. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    The vest is free. The boots are $35. You only need them if you don't bring your own. Requirements are non-slip soles and leather uppers so toe safety shouldn't matter.

U.S. Otriad Thanks this.
  10. U.S. Otriad

Jun 4, 2017
    So here's the skinny:
    Just finished a telephone interview with SNI Recruiter Rachael Krzewina. We spoke for a little under an hour & I highly recommend anybody considering Schneider to speak with her directly.
    I shared with her my experience(s) & desires and we spoke about several different positions that interested me. Originally having desired to do tankers, she made me aware of a dedicated WalMart account. We spoke about that account at length and what answers she didn't know, she found someone who did. At the end of the conversation & in her subsequent email to me, here's what they offered and I accepted, in writing so far:
    -Walmart Dedicated out of Bedford, Pa
    Reimbursement for driving personal vehicle to Carlisle from Vermont for orientation and back to Bedford to get a tractor.
    -$10,000.00 sign on bonus paid on installments over first year.
    -.49 cents per mile
    -1800-2K miles per week
    - 5 days off plus 2 days travel time (7 total) for 3wks running.
    - Reimbursement for driving personal vehicle to and from Bedford on off time - no flying if I don't want to.
    -No slip seating, BUT truck may be used while I'm off - they provide safe storage for personal belongings while off.
    - I go to local physician next Tuesday for MedCard & drug screen, then off to Carlisle on the 19th.
    I ran a Costco dedicated account for 5 years and loved it; have a lot of time with Walmart freight, too, etc. I'm looking forward to it.
    Thanks for everybody's input and advice so far.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  11. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Don't edit the first post for each day, male a new post for each day. That way new people can see what to expect. If you edit the post everyday , it does little good of theyve missed a day or two, reading it.

Ns8shble and U.S. Otriad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.