My Personal experience with Swift Transportation

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Mr Morgan, Feb 3, 2009.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    At that time as a recent CDL school grad with no experience i did check these forums to narrow my list down of trucking companies that i would like to drive for. Most of the post i read on here about Swift were not positive, but i decided since they were the company that stayed in constant contact with me most, i would choose them in the end. (I liken this to recruiting a kid in college sports)

That's why they kept in constant contact with you as someone with no experience. Because most people with experience would not even consider driving for SWIFT.

You don't even need to look at Swift as a good or bad company to know you should not accept such a risk to your sucess that such a large company can present. There are simply to many ways to get swallowed up and spit out on the street by such a large company.

Why anyone would want to compete with so many other drivers for their livelihood is beyond me. But I take my hat off to those that try.

Lets face it, when you drive OTR and are paid for the most part by a piece rate, why would you want to compete with so many others even if they where a good company?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr Morgan

Mr Morgan Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Don't really want to reveal terminal location or any names at this point. I'm sure you can understand why.

4. CMate

CMate Bobtail Member

May 22, 2008
    Over here
    wow! just wow!

5. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    I agree, Swift is a POS! I still drive for them on an o/o truck, but when my year is up in 4 months, I'm gone! I was a solo co. driver for 2 months, but turned in my truck after almost starving to death. They are a bottom feeder co!

I accidently left a folder with logs and documents on my dm's desk in Oregon, she Q/C'ed me asking me what to do. I asked her to send it to Fontana and would get it there, guess what? gone forever, never to be seen. They don't give a #$%^& about the drivers...

6. sacman

sacman Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2009
    galt ca
    9 weeks of training?? What the hell for? I could see maybey one week but 9? is that so you can figure out how to raid the flying j buffet?

7. Cheesehead28

Cheesehead28 Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Great post! The advice on this board is awesome and valuable. I am soon enough going into a trucking company as a rookie and already know what to watch out for due to the good people on this board that don't want other people to get screwed. I am surely gonna watch my ### out there! Thanks again for posting your story.

8. druid2874

druid2874 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I guess its hit or miss with Swift. For me i do well been with them going on 5 years. I was on a dedicated account where I was home on weekends and home nights every other day for the most part. Then we lost well in the process of losing ends Sept 4. all drivers getting on the account average 2800 some weeks would be 3200ish. Never realy have a pay problem if I do I talk to payroll get it straighten out . But there is days that the company P^%$ me off. And sometimes ask my self do they even look at my macro 10. Which is my ETA and PTA for my next load. It's a big company some people are going to get screwed over. Drivers like Mr Morgan yes its a shame. But its not just Swift any big company or organization people get F#$# over. Plus each terminal has its own little politics its a shame some are better then others. Just to bad Mr Morgan did not get it in writing that he could pick up his stuff. Is a dam shame that he would even have to do that.

9. ChipnChair

ChipnChair Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Nomad, Na
    Yep I heard that story from others ... a friend of mine just quit Swift for the same reasons ... there is a bright side, he got on with another company quickly and will earn more per mile, better benefits, bonus pay, and get home time weekly.

Swift is not the only fish in the sea.

10. son got them hate n

son got them hate n Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2009
    newcastle ,de
    where do u work ? that sounds like some thing i will like being home 4 days a week o did u ever hear about p.a.m

11. Jram0001

Jram0001 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018

The main problem they are facing now is retaining drivers and Owner Ops, almost every company is paying their drivers 25 to 30% more and they offer better benefits and treat they drivers like human beings and not like slaves in the case of swift, the largest trucking company is about to fall because of their greed and for not training office personal in the right way, it will be very hard to correct their mistakes, plus the law suits and other facts, i worked for swift in the past as an owner op and i am independent now and .97 cents per mile is crap, now i average $2.80 for every mile i run. Is just pure greed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.