My PTL Experience Log

Discussion in 'PTL' started by Big Ugly, Jul 15, 2014.

1. moraramis

moraramis Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    I know life happens, and I also know how bad that Maxxforce engine is. I've read that International is dealing with a few lawsuits filed against them over that engine. International must be giving PTL a really good fleet discount since PTL keeps buying those tractors regardless of the maintenance issues.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    That may be the case on the discounts for a fleet. I'd also suggest having an International dealer a block down the street from our home terminal is also a major contributing factor. My understanding is they signed a long term deal on the 1st order of trucks & that's when International opened a dealership a block away. Dealer & factory reps are prowling our company terminal on a daily basis now talking with any driver they come across about issues we have with the trucks & doing test drives. One truck goes down the street for warranty work & two more come back.

4. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    I saw one of our new 2015 Prostars just the other day that had a Cummins ISX with DEF in it. We also had DEF installed at our company fuel pumps. So it appears our experiments with Maxxforce engines may be over.

5. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Thanks BigUgly for keeping this thread updated when you can... you should know that there are many lurkers that find the time you choose to invest in this thread useful.

Up^on^two Thanks this.
  6. MuscleBro

MuscleBro Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Thank you for your as you called them "long winded posts". I got my CDL about a year ago and haven't had the opportunity to use it until now. PTL will actually be my first company, I'll be heading to KY next week. I read a lot of GlassDoor and Indeed posts by drivers talking quite lowly of the company and got slightly worried. But as a sensible guy, I know that the bitter folks are more likely to leave a review than the content folks. Your posting has given me quite a bit of reassurance, thank you Big Ugly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Up^on^two Thanks this.
  7. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Let me stress to you this important point about PTL. The company is not perfect. No trucking company is. You'll meet some exceptional folks here. You'll also meet some first rate ##########. Again that happens at all trucking companies. PTLs training programs are arduous & in many respects downright horrible. But if you can make it through you'll have no issues as a solo driver. I've been with 3 companies prior to PTL from 2006 until now. They each had their own pluses & minuses. I'd rank PTL even with one of the others & well ahead of the remaining two. Take that for what it's worth because as the old saying goes your mileage may vary. Just play it straight & give the company a chance. If it's not right for you that's ok. There are thousands of places to drive a truck at. But give wherever you go a fair shake by doing your best & what's expected of you. If PTL isn't that place you'll find one.

8. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    how would you rate their phase 2 training? Two new guys or gals teaming could get a little risky especially having to go tobLos Angeles

9. Big Ugly

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've not had to take it because I came in with experience. I can give you anecdotal evidence based on conversations from drivers I've interacted with that did do Phase Two. I heard everything from it was the worst experience they ever had to a few who said they appreciated it very much because it toughened them up enough to endure the hardships of what the job entailed. I do know they make the effort to pair you with somebody you get along with since you both are expected to work together & assist in any way the other driver as a spotter for backing or checking in with the customers & the like. And they won't pair men & women together for obvious reasons unless it is extraordinary circumstances. Such as giving a ride to a lady driver to go recover a truck. I've done that myself & everything went fine. Again your mileage may vary.

I can tell you they recently broke up the Phase Two fleet from the FM that had it exclusively. She was terrible at the job & wasn't coaching the new guys/gals as well as was needed. Now every FM has Phase Two drivers they coach & get fully seasoned into the job. My own fleet manager, who is quite good at his job & has a great rep in the company as he is a former driver himself, currently has 3 Phase Two teams he is working with. He also takes the extra step & assigns his experienced drivers (for some extra pay of course & who are willing) to act as coaches to these drivers as well so they can call us if they need help or advice. I've coached one team already & they both recently upgraded to solo status & are doing fine.

10. MuscleBro

MuscleBro Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Thanks for the head up Big Ugly, I'm one thick skinned son a of a Navy Warrant Officer. I think I'll manage to take any #### shoveled my way and eat it with a grin. I hope I get paired with a skilled driver for the mandatory 40,000 miles, but if not I'm sure I'll make it just fine.

Leftnut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.