My Superior Journey Begins

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Mortarmaggot, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    It's a VA program for using our GI Bill. Companies simply submit the paperwork and the VA gives us a check each month for the first year. The company has to meet a few requirements, but Superior more than meets them. It really helps Vets make it thru the first year until they get to a higher pay scale.

There is also a troops to trucker program too. My buddy just finished his in Ft Benning. One is being started here on Ft Bragg.

Just passing by and wsyrob Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    It isn't as big of a deal with Superior as it would be with other companies. But it is a large chunk of tax free money left on the table.

4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Well hell yea free money is free money. That's great Superior and other companies do that. Thanks for your service.

Crusader66 and Mortarmaggot Thank this.
  5. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    You're welcome. It always feels awkward to hear folks thank me. It was a pleasure and I got to do things others only dream of.

I did some digging and sent Jack an email to offer assistance in setting it up should he want it. I can have ours up and running in less than 30 days for all of our NC terminals.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  6. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Me thinks somebody is going to go far with this company.

Crusader66 Thanks this.
  7. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Jack and Mary are on it so I don't need to do anything. I'm really enjoying this company.

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I went with Mac a couple of times last year to Johnson Community College to talk to the class about Superior Carriers. Pretty good school. They were about to open a program at Ft Bragg.

Truck Driver Training at Fort Bragg

scythe08 and Mortarmaggot Thank this.
  9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 3 is in the books and I'm off until 0430 on Monday.

Today was an interesting day for me. First thing I was told by Jack was that GenX has been approved by corporate, so he is now scheduled to come do the physical and road test on Tuesday. It's unusual, from what I was told, that Superior would take on two rookies. GenX went to the same school as I, just a week ahead. He's another Army retiree.

Anyway, the day went fast and smooth as we loaded and staged tanks for the system guys. I was able to enter my own employee number and start running the Qualcomm logs. I'm still just the: observer, pre trip, post trip, hook, unhook, close up tanks, attach seals, and data entry guy. Lol. It's all good and I'm learning a lot.

We knocked out all the assigned loads by noon and during lunch we got assigned a 98 mile bobtail run to pick up an empty from Radford. That was 4 hours of round trip drive time and maybe 20 minutes at the plant.

That closed out my day. Off to Sanford to do a pump off on Monday.

If I can find GenX's proper user name I'll add it. I called to congratulate him and will do so again here.

Congrats GenX. Don't Jack up the driving test......you got this

scythe08 Thanks this.
  10. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Having to leave at 0200 reminds me of my military days. It'll take some getting used to as I adjust back into an lifestyle without set times of operation. Sleep will be difficult, but rest is needed before beginning a long day. Got to put my backside to bed long before my regular sleep cycle tonight.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  11. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Haven't updated in a while. Training is going well. The first week of ridding and learning Qualcomm, doing pre trip, and procedures is done.

I started driving yesterday. Just dragging a tank around and backing. Today I did all of the hooking, dropping, and loading. Yup, the surge is real bit not that bad. That sloshing liquid sure makes us hop over the top of a drawbridge.

So far it has been great. I wasn't overwhelmed. I was so familiar with the Qualcomm and other procedures by the time I started driving, that I could focus on the driving without any wondering about the other items. A week or so of local driving left, and then I'll head out into the system with a trainer for a couple of weeks.

Love how Superior handles certain things. Told the terminal manager about the NDONA conference that my wife and I take the kids to every year. It's through her work. Even though it's during my training cycle, he said to have a good time. It really wasn't a problem.

scythe08 and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.