My Swift Adventure

Discussion in 'Swift' started by road dust, Dec 15, 2009.

1. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    I'm sure RD will answer regarding what she made, but for general info:

No pay for the 2 1/2 to 3 day orientation

The first 4 weeks with a Mentor $450. per week. (rated at $64.28 per day)
    The last 2 weeks with a Mentor $500. per week. ($71.42 per day)

For flatbed, there's 2 days of securement training at $50. per day before you go out with a Mentor.

If the Mentor takes home time, you can also go home if close enough. If not, you'll be put up at a motel, which Swift pays for. Whichever the case, you'll still be paid for those days and they will be credited to your training time, IF you stay available for dispatch. So no drinking, going off on a mini vacation, etc...

Here's a link to a pay scale chart, but I think it's changed a bit. I'll check today and let you know.

http://swift.drivers-central.com/swift-transportation/driver-pay.cfm

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road dust

road dust Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I couldn't have said it any better. Also, if you provide your own transportation to and from school and/or orientation, save your receipts. You will be reimbursed.

After completing your 6 weeks with a mentor you will start at .25/mile

4. NWTrkrs

NWTrkrs Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Great thx for that info. You all have a nice evening....

road dust Thanks this.
  5. gearrat

gearrat Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    az
    well finally finished my training and tested out today. its nice to be at home for a while gotta be back in phoenix monday

Saddle Tramp and road dust Thank this.
  6. gladiator

gladiator Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    wheeler,mi.
    I have the 1 burner stove as well as the lunch box cooker, gotten to be pretty good with both..Can make most anything,, Which is nice when one is held up or needs to park somewhere with limited sevices...As for the small cans of propane..I have found that Gordon Foods has them 4 cans $14. Tried the pizza oven did'nt hold up well.
    With the cost of eating on the road. I have had to find a better and cheaper way of doing it. Through trail and error I've gotten pretty good, and like I said can make most anything. Sure does help the wallet...

7. road dust

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Congratulations to you, Gearrat!!!

8. road dust

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Ok, here is my latest and last update on my Swift adventure. Since I quit a few weeks ago, I am not eligible for rehire for 6 months. So, I have had to look for another job. Since my work history is lacking, I was unable to get on at any of my first choices, so it looks like it is going to be crst.

I talked to the recruiter today and he is anxious to get me into orientation for next week. I need to get a notarized letter signed by a couple of different people stating that I was unemployed during certain dates. As soon as I get that faxed in he will get my bus ticket set up. I will go to orientation then out with a trainer for 28 days.

Hopefully I will get a chance to continue this thread as my crst adventure over on the crst forum. Meanwhile, Keep your fingers crossed that I can pass the road test next week, lol.

Oh yeah, just one more heads up on Swift. In School they brag about the tuition being interest free. Well, what they don't tell you is if it gets sent to a collection agency for failure to make payments, you can be charged as much as 30% interest. I am not in that situation yet, and hopefully won't be, but it would have been nice to have known that up front.

RD

Baack and cookie278 Thank this.
  9. Wildbill411

Wildbill411 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Mountain Grove MO
    Hey road dust. During the time you were unemployed were you drawing UI benefits. The reason I ask is if you were, then you wouldn't need to have a notarized letter to comfirm your unemployment dates. In Missouri if you go on the unemployment website and view your claim status, it will give you a list of dates they paid you and how much you were paid. All you have to do is print that out and use that as confirmation that you were unemployed. That's what I did. Anyway I wish you the best of luck at crst. Have fun and be safe.

road dust Thanks this.
  10. gearrat

gearrat Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    az
    well r.d. i hope things work out for you there.

road dust Thanks this.
  11. road dust

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi there Neighbor!
    No, unfortunately I wasn't. But it won't be too much of a problem to get the notarized statements. Just a hassle more than anything, lol
    You have fun and be safe too, might see ya out there someday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.