My Tenure is Over

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MGE Dawn, Sep 18, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Sorry to hear that bud. Check out doug andrus,see them all the time up west coast. They run reefer Dry van and flatbed. Check craigslist as well, every week,i can find some reefer outfit down here in az hiring somebody with 6 months exp. What about pride out of salt lake city, or go try flatbed with system transport up in washington, what about may trucking they are up there as well . got to be something in your area i would imagine, maybe a lot of container jobs too at the port.

I wish you the best , hope u find a company that treats you better

tman78, FlaSwampRat and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    What driving style prevents someone from taking your LF corner off after they (barely) complete a pass?
    I guess you have to take your foot off the fuel to make room for the guy?
    Is this radar why everyone speeds up now to try and prevent the pass?

starmac, Czar_Zero, stayinback and 2 others Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Remember the disagreement that you had with @Tall Mike and your defending Swift? Of course you do. You couldn’t see this back then but now it’s clear as Day. When someone talks bad about a company, you don’t defend the company because the company has earned its place at the bottom of the barrel.

5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    With our cruise control set, our forward radar maintains a 3.5 second following distance, or you start hearing the incessant beeping. I've been known to speed up a little to let the passing truck pass both myself and the truck in front of me simply because if he get in the 3.5 second gap, my truck will slow down to get a 3.5 second gap on him, which now put me at leeast 7 seconds behind the first truck. Closing the gap to encourage the passing truck pass us both results in me ending up still 3.5 seconds behind the first truck.

FlaSwampRat and rank Thank this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    3.5 seconds at 60 mph is ~4 truck lengths. That's pretty much impossible around here. There would be 200 of those violations every day on every truck.

I am no fan of drivers that speed up. I figured it was something like that. I'm no fan of drivers that put a truck into my following distance either. If I am in the left lane, I don't pull back in until there's plenty of room........but 8 truck lengths? That's never going to happen around here. Once on a while I just have to exercise my ability to distance myself from the insanity.

Imagine 10 radar equipped trucks all with speed limiters set to a government mandated 65 mph all with the radar set to 4 truck lengths. All are in the right lane minding their P's and Q's until the first truck gets cut off then 9 trucks just pulled into the left lane to avoid slowing down. And just when they get that cluster straightened out, there is a hill. and the lead truck is a 140,000 lb B train.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    KNGPIN, Hammer166, Cattleman84 and 8 others Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Cant wait for the future ! We all thought it was bad now lol

8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    The future is now here in Ontario and Quebec with 65 Speed Limiters. I would say they’re not using radar because most trucks follow less than two truck lengths and they Speed up to close that gap whenever someone Passes them

9. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Sounds about like a half step away from mass autonomous vehicles, doesn't it?

Cattleman84, FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    PRS is not an intermodal carrier, they are a railroad terminal company, basically hosteling cans around the rail yard loading/unloading trains, they'll either work you to death or starve you to death depending on ho how busy the railroad is, most rail ramps have a 50% or better turnover rate on a yearly basis for both of the above reasons.

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    ISO tanks have taught me change my driving, nothing like 44,000 lbs of liquid sloshing in a space of 19 ft.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.