My time at saia so far

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by BigTennOTR, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Never know; maybe they'll get a new customer and have to hire another driver, then you can move up.

MarkH129 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trecord88

trecord88 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Phoenix AZ
    Nice man good for you! Hearing everything your saying wants me to get hired over there evwn more. I put in a app about March this year and just got a quick phone interview and never heared anything back. So I just applied July 1st and a week later got another quick phone interview and that was it! So I checked online and my app is still active so I just called and left a voicemail for the hiring manager. I guess its just hard to get in over there because my background and driving record is all good and clean I just dont have any ltl experience.

4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Good luck to you I hope you hear something back soon. And to be perfectly honest touching on what you had mentioned about clean record but no LTL experience, that's in a way a great thing. They know you're a safe driver and at the same time they don't hafta "re teach", for lack of a better term, how they operate. What I mean is your fresh they can show you how to do things and not have to worry about you bein "well over at xxx company we did it this way." I'd say you're a shoo in. Idk if you're goin for P&D or linehaul, but brass tacks its driving a truck. Which you can obviously do. All they hafta show you is paperwork procedures and their on board computer, which you'll have nailed in a week or less.

trecord88 Thanks this.
  5. trecord88

trecord88 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Phoenix AZ
    Yeah im definitely hoping so, and yead it was for p&d they have like 2 spots open right now so hopefully ill get a shot

motocross25 Thanks this.
  6. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I did P&D @ Estes in St. Louis for 7 years. Biggest advice I can say is take your time. You'll have days where stuff doesn't go right and you get hung up here, and the forklift is outta fuel there, and pickups are stacking up and close times are getting close and you still hafta take lunch. Don't rush. You'll either forget something on your paperwork, or forget to close your back door, or forget to strap that loose drum to the wall or possibly worse yet hit something. Those places will be open again tomorrow, and someone might get pissy with you about it either a customer or a dispatcher. But they'll get over it. They'd be even pissier if you took off a bumper of a Lexus that was pulled up past the stop bar that you were making a left in front of cuz you had to make it to Joe Blow's Heating & Cooling and they close at 3 and it's 2:45 now, so you couldn't wait for that car. Take your time, keep your incidents to a minimum and you'll retire there. You'll have customers you hate and complete morons. Roll with it, yes sir, no sir. If they have a legitimate complaint or things are getting out of hand give em the office number. They can deal with it. When you do have those customers that are complete a-wipes, when you leave close your cab door, roll your window up and let em have it. Worked for me and I usually felt a lot better by my next stop.

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Very good advice for P&D work!

intrepidor and motocross25 Thank this.
  8. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    This is a bad time i think fir hiring in ltl .. slow season is coming up soon.... we had one driver quit cause 1400 a weeek wasn't enough......but we still probably wont hire til February

9. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    You raise a good point. We were always crazy nuts busy around the end of September, early October, up into December, but we had an Amazon D.C. in our service area. I'm not sure how much Saia does with Amazon, but yea you're right.

BigTennOTR Thanks this.
  10. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm so ready for Estes in Memphis to hire me lol. Did my interview Monday. Waiting on background email.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  11. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I always liked goin to that terminal. Tons of room, nice shop area and covered fuel islands. I've only dealt with the linehaul side while there tho running on the weekends and they seem nice. Good luck man!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.