My time at Werner so far (update)

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by slatherd, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rangerman1

rangerman1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Cheney, Wa
    It sounds like you've got a remarkably healthy attitude on the subject. I was incredibly fortunate in getting the trainer I did! Aside from a few tense moments (We're both patient, but have controlled if hot tempers) All was pretty well. He'd told me from the outset that he's an anal-retentive nag, but did so because he was a trainer in order to make good drivers. His attitude was: "If I don't teach him right, and the guy ends up taking out a schoolbus cause of something he should've known; I'd be partly responsible" Sadly, this seems to be a rare quality with trainers. Example is a buddy I roomed with at trucking school. When we met up after training, he was oddly quiet, and withdrawn. Turns out HIS trainer was a "screamer" and would have him swap out before entering a city they'd have to drive around in. Worse: he'd only backed up TWICE during the 6weeks, and would dictate what my buddy'd write in his student progress messages. He did'nt request another trainer for fear of getting a bad rep! Getting off the truck won't be looked at negatively if you've got a good reason. You're not doin a favor for anyone but him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

El Paso, TX, (near Nuevo Laredo, MX), Or was he smelly and loyal to wifey?, I gave my trainer a laptop computer as a gift,

4. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    And running team, has nothing to do with someone getting or being trained. What training are you receiving from someone in the bunk...

5. BigPappa

BigPappa Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Keller, TX
    This is one reason why I don't want to work for these big companies. You are required to team drive for a short time in order to get your own truck. I had my own truck since day one and I can't think of team driving with someone I don't know. I try to keep my truck clean inside always and air fresheners everywhere (mainly to get rid of the smoke smell in the truck). I can't stand the smell of smoke. Everytime I park for the night I pickup any garbage that I have and sweep anything off the floor. Organize my compartments to ensure everything is in order. I like to have everything organized.

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Well there are companies that could argue with that.:biggrin_2556:

7. freightliner1

freightliner1 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I am a trainer with Werner {however I am a reluctant trainer} I will take a student every few months basically because I never know whats going to get on the truck, what type of horse $%#@ drama I'm going to have to deal with from the next person who steps aboard.

I was a student I had a good trainer but he had bad hygiene habits but the experience was worth the smell and at the end of my training it was all worth it, we still talk once a month and I use his method of training as my own the only difference is the truck these students get into is clean and remains clean and that issue isnt negotiable.

I keep seeing all these horror stories about bad trainers yeah well theres just as many piss poor students out there, I had personal belongs destroyed, stolen hell my last student broke $300.00 dollars of my personal belongings that no one is going to cover sooo whahhhhhhh on me lol.

At the end of the day ill train whoever gets on the truck and when they get off the truck they will know how to do the job they will be safe they will be able to back they will understand time managment they will know where they are at all times and they will be ontime and make money or I wont sign off for them to go solo ill be ###### if im putting my signature on the line that says they are ready if they arent.

As a trainer when I accept a student I am accepting the responsibility for that persons safety and the motoring publics safety while that person is on the road so if that person is an idiot well then I am more than happy to drop that guy off to the nearest safety office and keep rolling.

good triners bad trainers good companies blah blah blah its not a big ole conspiracy the man doesnt have his thumb on your neck it is what you make of it and if you dont like what youve made of it well that crap job you left is still waiting for you back in your little town enjoy the rest of your life imho..

8. Bigg T

Bigg T Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Michigan
    I can see a few problems with the original poster but i want to ask the trainer who posted what are you teaching the student if your in the bunk sleeping...I'm not saying ur a bad trainer cuz i don't know you as a trainer but i do understand team training and i wouldn't go with a company that offers that.
    Trainer should be sitting in the sit next to the trainee to be there when they need you or for the trainer to point out things and make the student understand what is happening or will happen...only reason a company does team training is to make a profit...

I will be going with a trainer soon and if i found out this is how they train i would move on down the road to a better company..

this is justs my opinion but this is pretty black and white to understand..

9. iamkaren123

iamkaren123 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    The only thing I got to say is "WERNER SUCKS BIG TIME." My fiance made the mistake of 12 years ago going to work for them. They have gotten worse. They play favorites. That is you have to beg for runs. If you are an ### kisser of the company you get the good runs. He has to beg for them. He and I are looking at other trucking companies and it is oh so hard to find a good one.

He has about 15years driving experience. Does anyone know of a trucking company out there that pays and gives you the miles you need?

Tired of being lied to. No, this is his fiance asking this. He is on the road, this time driving to KY as I type this. But granted when he gets there and drops the load he will be sitting and they do not pay for all the sitting you do.

Someone please help me!

Thanks,
    Karen:msad:

10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    6 Months...... and he hasn't returned to the board for an update...reckon his trainer slit his throat ????

11. slatherd

slatherd Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Well, I guess I should give my update till now. sorry I didnt do it sooner. I may have saved some more lives from The Big Blue Screw.

Picking up where I left off.

I went in to turn in my paper logs and other paperwork I completed over my 59 days on the truck. I go to the hotel and get my stuff together. this isnt a big deal, but it was one more nail in the coffin. I treck nearly a mile from the hotel in one corner of the dallas complex all the way over to the other side of the ternminal. I go in and the girl at the desk gives me a stack of papers and sends me to the CBT (computer based training) room. Remembering how I flew through the test at orientation, this didnt take long. You are supposed to take a specific amount of time for each one, say 45 mins, I flew through it and took the test at the end. I passed them all with no problem.

I finally was allowed to turn in my paperwork. The terminal MGR flipped through it like a deck of cards signed it and tossed it in his desk. ohhh, kaaay. WHATEVER. I put all that work in to get my logs updated and all the other crap and he didnt even look to see if it was complete.

He then tells me to go back to my hotel room and come back at 8 am the next morning for my truck assingment. I treck back to the Hotel.

8AM - I get to the terminal offices. I get in line. The girl asks if I have a truck preference. I say, sure I'd rather not go to Canada. she said ok. no problem, I should be able to get you a Freightliner classic. Ok, sounds good to me. Go wait in the break room and we will call you.

12 - lunch. Roach coach lunch.

4 pm. Finally I hear my name. I go to the desk again, they hand me the keys and truck number on a post it note. She tells me to go to the truck shop to get set up. but first to find the truck and pretrip it.

After searching for an hour, I find the truck shoved behind the shop. the fairings are bent, no mudflaps, and the front bumper was bent up. I didnt expect a new truck, I just hoped the inside was ok. I got in the cab and started the engine. It fire up fine. I checked the lights, guages and air. overall it wasnt too bad till I checked the sleeper lights. I would flip the switch and they would delay before they came on. Or they wouldnt come on at all. I could hear the relay tripping in the dash. I finished up pretripping and locked it up. Realizing I forgot my pen in the truck I went back to get it. I pulled on the drivers latch and it opened right up. I thought I locked it? I locked it again. Pulled it, and again it opened. Great, no drivers side lock.

i went to the shop, and put it in for lights and lock. they said, you are 12th in line. So I went back to the hotel. 7 am the next morning I went down to the shop. I asked where I was. 5th. ok. one more day. Late that night I went back to check. they were pulling me out as I walked in. The repair guy told me he replaced a bad relay and fixed the door lock. I tested the truck and it did the same thing. He didnt fix ANYTHING. I went back to the counter the guy there said he said he would pull it right back in. After a couple hrs. I came back to the shop asking how it was going. Mind you I am still not getting paid for this waiting around. He says the relay was ok, but it just needed time to warm up. I snapped. what? your serious? relays arent like tubes from a 1947 television!!!! they either work, or they dont! He says, Well, its not doing it now.

I go back to the hotel in disgust. Now I am pissed. I call my dispatcher and request he get me another truck. he says, I cant, thats your truck you have to wait to have it fixed. I said, are you gonna pay me for this? He says, No. great I am in Dallas Tx, I live in MI and I gotta deal with this.

finally, I went back and told the shop I gotta roll and gimmie my keys. I took the keys and went to bed. 8 am the next morning. I get my first load. bobtail to Fort Worth and get a trailer from another driver. I get to the loves TS. and meet the driver. He says, its heavey. I see the BOL and it says, 39,000 lbs. Great I dont know if this is over weight. I get it weighed. Remember, you have to pay cash for this and when Werner reimburses you for it, they tax it. So you never really get paid for all of it. All is well on the weight. I stay the night. the load is going to Ladredo, Tx. i get moving.

the loads I got after that took me into some bad places and in the middle of nowhere in a truck that the interior lights and locks the dont work. I finally told myself I had enough of the load swapping, splitting and all around bullcrap. I got my first load home and returned the truck. I havent talked to werner since.

i have talked to other companies and all are willing to hire me since my dac is good. My problem is experience for local companies. I gotta go back OTR for awhile. We'll see how things go.

good luck to all who mess with werner. be prepared to drop your pants. they will send it home and they wont even lube it up before they stick you.

ybfjax Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.