My Trainer Isn't Letting Me Practice Backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nadiyah2000, Jan 12, 2022.

1. nadiyah2000

nadiyah2000 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2021
    Thanks so much. I felt so bad making that mistake. I thought I was going to merge onto the freeway and ended up on a no truck road. It was extremely narrow so my trainer had to get us out. I definitely need to slow down and really pay attention to my signs.

Badmon and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nadiyah2000

nadiyah2000 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2021
    She wasn't letting me back even before this happened today.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I've done that as experienced as I am. Oh I forgot I'm human known to miss a few things along the way. I sure do hate when they put the sign half way down the street saying no trucks allowed but that's just me.o_O:rolleyes:

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Been there done that don't stress to much. I say don't do this at home this is being done by professional. I've driven down a one way street in NYC a "professional driver" must do some "professional" things at times it was not by mistake neither :D:D.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    tscottme and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  6. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Just suck it up and finish your time with the trainer. Once you are on your own find a safe spot other than a crowded truck stop and practice all you need. You’ll be fine.

7. PrincessPri

PrincessPri Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2014
    You may need to request another trainer

8. Mr Uturn

Mr Uturn Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2021
    You have 1700 of your required 7500 miles done. Relax ypo u got timr and will get your turn. Concentrate on not taking the wrong turn for a while. It will come to you, keep watching and paying attn to what good backers do.

tscottme and nadiyah2000 Thank this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Back when I was a trainer we let the new person do all the backing for the most part. We did not really do much random backing at truck. We did a little if they wanted to. Most backing was at loading and unloading docks. Plus ever who was driving when we stopped at truck stop.

We had to run team runs at 1200 in 24 hours. So not a lot of extra time to spend backing in truck stops unless parking. As a trainer we were told to stand in front truck and trailer. Basically to see the side the new driver could not and make sure he did not hit anything or get truck and trailer at some crazy angle. We did not tell them how to turn the wheel as a rule. We could help if they needed that. Most guys would figure how to turn the wheel after a couple times.

I always thought if was not good when seeing trainer on driver side telling someone how to turn the wheel, because who was watching the other side to make sure they didn't hit anything ? That's what trainer is supposed to basically watch out so nothing gets hit.

My company told us we were supposed to stop the student and make them come to front of truck and trailer. If they were having trouble backing . So they could see how it looks themselves before they hit anything. You can look and kind see I need to turn sooner to get back under trailer. You will probably get more backing practice. See if she will let you do all the backing at loading and unloading docks. If you're driving and pull into truck stop pick a spot you can back into. It will all add up over time and hopefully you will get more practice.

10. Jammer'

Jammer' Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Why would she be turned loose on her own when she doesn't even know how to back a trailer up?

That's the problem. "I just wanna hurry up and get this training over with then I'll learn on my own"........yeah ok, if you really have no experience at all then that's probably a disaster in the making in today's world.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  11. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Have you ever been to a love’s or pilot? I see hundreds of the so called professionals weekly that block driveways constantly because they are too stupid or lazy to back into a parking spot that’s available. This lady will surely get enough training to pass. When she’s on her own she’ll have plenty of opportunities to practice more.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.