My Western Experience

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by realfasho, Apr 4, 2013.

1. mannygol

mannygol Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Hey so when you were in training how much were you making a week . ? They pay by hours? How do they pay you? Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I think many people get into trucking thinking it's going to be like the recruitment brochures, all beautiful sunsets and clear, straight roads. Not gonna happen. Sometimes you get a good truck, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you run trouble-free for weeks, sometimes you break down. Sometimes you can fix it, sometimes you can't.

If a new driver doesn't understand that going in, the experience can and probably will be a bad one.

4. mannygol

mannygol Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    What is the hardest part when starting trucking first year

5. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Getting used to the business in general. Dealing with your company while they learn to what degree you can "do the job," dealing with shippers and receivers who look down on you as a driver, managing to stay legal in the screwy schedule we have (if you can even call it a 'schedule'), learning how to operate an 80,000 pound, 70 foot combination vehicle in all kinds of situations and locations...

The list goes on. It's a very tough business and it is unlike anything you have ever done before, including military service; many people don't make the first year because of it.

mannygol Thanks this.
  6. mannygol

mannygol Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I will have to get used to this lifestyle now ..

7. TruckerWife630

TruckerWife630 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Alabama
    Mannygol, my hubby is flatbed. He started orientation on a Wednesday & did securement Friday-Sunday. He left with a trainer on a Monday. His first paycheck was $53.69 after taxes. They told him that was for the second day of orientation. Before that he was told they don't pay for orientation. Securement training is $70 a day/3 days. Training is suppose to be $500 a week for flatbed. I believe $375 a week for dry van.

mannygol Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm curious; why did you choose Western Express?

9. mannygol

mannygol Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I choosed western because i dont have any experience and they get me with no experience. At all and no school

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. mannygol

mannygol Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Awesome!! Thank yu

11. TruckerWife630

TruckerWife630 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Alabama
    Be sure you find out up front what the deal is for CDL schooling, training & all. There could be a contract that includes staying there a set amount of time and/or paying something if you don't stay.

mannygol Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.