My year with CRST

Discussion in 'CRST' started by BubbaMan, Mar 24, 2010.

1. fireguy3

fireguy3 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Clearfield, PA.
    Yup,CRST had all kinds of reasons to eliminate me before even seeing me for orientation, things like:

Stable work history(hey was only at the same employer before Transport America for 13 years, no stability there!!)

Accidents: (Yeah really hammed that one up only having one accident my fault in 22 years of driving all types of vehicles, that one was wasn't even ruled my fault..Icy bridge.)

Criminal history: (yeah a real nasty record of serving arrest warrants on criminals for the previous 7 years! all the while having a spotless criminal history for the entire rest of my life.)

Grades for CDL school: (What a 96% for the entire school ain't good enough!?!?!?)

Yup they had all kinds of other reasons to screw me over.

FWIW, I passed a CRST female driver a couple days ago in Idaho, she was a FOXX:biggrin_255:!!! But alas the my fair lady left me to enter the next rest stop!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. eyazee

eyazee Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Hey all! Ive been reading posts on CRST for about 2 hours now ("headache"!) and I am inclined to agree with the "positive attitude" mindset...it is important to be positive, open to learning, and finding ways to make yourself known as someone who is reliable, has integrity and versatile. I spoke with a recruiter today and may decide to go to CRST in Fontana for my refresher and training.
    I have had my CDL for 5 months now, and besides a few months driving back east, they want me to take a 2 week refresher (because the truck school I went to didnt test students with a 53' trailer), then 4 day orientation. I can understand it doesnt pay much at first, but I am one that doesnt need alot right now. I am a 25 yr general contractor, closed my business after the economy took a bust. Looking forward to driving, did my most recent trip from NYC to Frisco in 47 hours (is that good?!) while coming home from back east.
    Can anyone tell me about the refresher course? Does it involve all new tests, pre-trip, brake tests, etc...?
    Can anyone tell me about the Fontana terminal? Whats it like, what should I bring, not bring, any input would be great....! :)
    Peace and safe driving!!

4. Temptinfates

Temptinfates Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Hi there. Not really sure what their refresher course is like. The Fontana yard is a gravel yard with trailers set-up containing restrooms, showers, some office facilities, and a tv room. I think there are plans to build a new terminal, but until then..
    Generally, a refresher course runs you back through knowing how to do a pre-trip and practicing manuevers with the possibility of limited road driving. Hope this helps.
    Temptinfates

5. Erick chapel

Erick chapel Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Fontana CA
    I know I just quit that thief company.....i did my 8 mnths and:biggrin_2552: jammed!

6. bamakid

bamakid Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Troy, AL
    CRST is payin for my school. So I guess after reading all of this, I'll do my 8 months and find something else.

7. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Better plan on staying 9 nine then cause at the 8th month mark you get a letter telling you the the schooling you received is a 1500.00 dollar value in Uncle sams eye and is treated as income so they now want 137.00 in taxes and since CRST is such a wonderful Company they will deduct it from your pay in 4 equal installments. funny part is if you quit before your 8 months are up or get fired then that training is a 4500.00 value:biggrin_2555:

8. genabit

genabit Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2010
    cocoa, fl
    yeah they also fail to tell you things like (bus ticket - you pay for) housing - you pay for - medical you pay for - meals - of course you pay ... since I have family in Iowa I flew to Des Moines and had my son take me over to Cedar Rapids... the recruiter kept telling me to take the bus.. why? So they could collect their percentage... what a hose job.

9. genabit

genabit Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2010
    cocoa, fl
    pay when you are dead heading yes, but it depends on your fm.... mine was always screwing with our miles... would give us toll money to make up when we #####ed because they would say things like "just swing over and pick up this trailer" even if it is 300 miles away and you have to come back to pick up your load.. six hundred miles and you get qc messages asking if you will be on time then you get your check a week later without the six hundred miles...... bah humbug..

10. deadspade

deadspade Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2011
    hayward,Ca
    just passed orentation and have to go home before starting training will start on the 27th showedv up with cdl so pretty happy i dont have to be locked into any contract just need some experiance and hope to enjoy my self on the way:biggrin_25515:

11. genabit

genabit Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2010
    cocoa, fl
    maybe the recruiters changed their tactics, I grew up in Iowa and was "urged" to take a bus to the terminal in Cedar Rapids, I found it amazing that they charged me for 22.00 to go from Marshalltown to Cedar Rapids... They wanted me to ride a bus for 3 days to get there.. sigh.. why? so they could charge me 321.00 to get from Florida to Iowa, my airline ticket cost 91.00, why make me ride a bus? Because they get a commission on the costs... but they don't tell you that you are responsible for those fees until after you are there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.