n14 fan almost always on

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by summit shop, Jun 21, 2016.

1. summit shop

summit shop Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2016
    so i have an n14, and its not that the fan is ALWAYS on. it is sometimes always on. when i turn just the ignition on, the fan is free spining (disabled). about half a second after i start cranking, i can see the fan kick on, and it always stays on. last week i payed attention to it it was fine, but a few drivers started complaining.

i checked the a/c schematic part of the fan system, and also thought the manual switch wire got shorted. everything checks out.

temp gauge works.
    so whats next?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    Check the fan clutch,switch, cylanoid, and air/electric lines

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Check the A/C Module try to replace it and plug other one in if not connect to insite and check what the high side pressure sensor is reading maybe shorted and demanding fan if not check also with insite what intake temp and coolant temp are saying

5. cumminskid123

cumminskid123 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Manitoba, Canada
    just throwing it out there, are you overheating? maybe the rad is plugged?

6. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    its got to be related to only when engine is started. i check the a/c pin. it is providing 12V negative for signal to keep the fan off. the pin was corroded a bit from the a/c module and i was pretty sure that was the problem, and it wasnt.

over heating i doubt since it does it on a cold truck.

all the fan side stuff is working. i know be cause sometimes it works. and i already rewired new wires to the fan solenoid from the ecu half a year ago.

if the sensors are bad, lets say the coolant temp sensor. it would have the fan locked with the ignition on too wouldnt it?

7. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    just datalogged. all sensors check out. a/c pressure says low. and fan clutch 1 enable, it says on. which i assume means fan is on. so the ecm is telling the clutch to be on.

have no idea what else could cause it. faulty ecm? it runs a little rough on this ecm, its pretty old

8. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Your high side a/c switch is most likely bad. A typical symptom is fan on almost immediately after engine is started.

9. cumminskid123

cumminskid123 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Manitoba, Canada
    I've encountered on two occasions with the N14 ecm's, both had high engine hours, the transistors for the injectors have high resistance and tend to give you issues with injector performance, i would double check that your getting 12v at the ecm power supply pins and ignition with the ecm disconnected, use a sealed beam headlight and see if she lights up, if it does then check the resistance of each injector circuits at the ecm connector. if it all checks out ok, then your ecm isn't providing the signal your injectors need to trim properly. I've replaced two sets of injectors on the same truck, checked fuel pressure, pressure was low cause i had play in the pump drive gear splines, replaced the pump, customer came back cause it was lacking power, so checked fuel inlet restriction, within spec. so i did the accelerated cylinder performance test, and all six seemed weak, so i changed the injectors to reman aftermarket(customer supplied), he then came back, and sent out the aftertmarket injectors, 4 of 6 failed bench testing, convinced the customer to have 6 OE injectors installed. so then once installed, and it still ran like it had a miss, underload especially i checked the ecm power supply, it was good, so i sent out the ecm to get checked and repaired, and it fixed the whole problem, the shop i sent it to informed me that the injector driver(transistors) fail and have high resistance and they don't pulse enough voltage to the injectors. if anyone can tell me if i'm wrong, i would appreciate greatly to be informed about it.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  10. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    did you try plugging i another apads module for the ac

11. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    cumminskid, wher did you send off the ecu too? i havbe a feeling its the ecu as the engine has 1.7mil miles.

nasriza, ill try a new a/c module but like i said it is providing a signal for the fan as far i can tell

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.