N14 shuts down randomly

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by kev2809, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kev2809

kev2809 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2015
    hello folks. truck is 94 international, N14 cummins.

it will just cut out and engine stop running. radio and dash fan stay om, but the motor just dies
    i took it to a shop about a month and a half ago (when it first started). he pulled some codes but didnt tell me what they were. he cleaned the connectors by the ecm with the fuses, and also cleaned and greased the sensor on the air intake above the ecm. ran fine for nearly a month and it started up again last week. took it to get checked and and alternator was bad and a battery. replaced both. ran good for 3 days and started again.

was told it could be engine position sensor, fuel solenoid (which didnt even have a wire hooked to it), and maybe the sensor on the air intake. so today i replaced all 3 (and added a 12 volt wire to the fuel solenoid). im going to finish up the job tomorrow and see what happens.

anyome with any ideas in case the problem isn't fixed? tired of throwing money down the drain. ive also tried replacing fuel filters with no difference

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The worst case scenario, you may have a bad ECM.

4. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    is there a way to directly test the ecm? or is that something a cummins tech has to do?

5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you didn't have a wire hooked to the fuel solenoid, he will not run. Inspect that wire to make sure it is not coming in contact with any other metal parts and grounding out.
    That is the problem I had one time my truck shut off.

6. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    lol thats what the mechanic said. but its been like that since i got it nearly 2 years ago. i hooked one up to it today, but haven't tried anything yet since i havent finished putting some stuff back together

baha Thanks this.
  7. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    So no wire to fuel solenoid indicates what; stuck open?
    Don't know if the power is for "ON" or "OFF" in this case?
    I would think it takes power to open, to allow fuel flow.
    Even if coil is clicking the valve itself may be stuck open.
    Someone more familiar with this application enlighten me?

8. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    ya, no idea man. never knew what it was until yesterday. from what i hear it needs 12 volt all the time or it wont run. but im not to familiar with how they even work..and why they would need to shut off anyways

9. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    12 v makes the solenoid create a magnetic field and open up the fuel rail to the head will power up with ign, grounded thru the bolts, no wire means no 12 volt so the truck should never start cuz there is no fuel going to it unless someone took off solenoid internal discs and spring and it has constant fuel but even that doesn't make sense cuz it needs the solenoid to shut off the engine when you turn ign off 12 v goes away no more magnet small disc and spring inside push forward and close the fuel

10. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Thank you.
    I get all that.
    What I am puzzled with is - is there a system, or is THIS a system,
    that works with the energised solenoid turning the valve off. Not likely.
    I am familiar with the energised solenoid turning the flow on; that's normal,
    just wondered if this fuel system works in the opposite manner, and why.
    Otherwise - his valve is stuck in the open position for 2 years.
    So...
    kev2809
    you could look and see if the innerds are gone?

11. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    only if someone removed internals but then unless you shut off power to ecm than truck will not shut off. it is international so anything is possible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.