N14 Top End Knock

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SpeedyGonzalez, Sep 3, 2019.

1. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hey everyone,
    Trucks been OTR for about three days now and my drivers telling me there's a top-end knock on cylinders 1-2, he can't really figure out which it is. I had him use his phone as a stethoscope to narrow down where it was but I get an error when I try uploading that file here, its an audio file and that seems to be not allowed. In essence, sounds like someone is tapping the head with a small hammer on the passenger side of the engine, its normal noise down by the rocker boxes and cam. The number one cylinder had its injector replaced not two weeks ago from a truck that was running well and that fixed smokiness on startup. As per the old thread, there was a hefty amount of algae in the tanks that was not discovered until after the truck had stalled several times from the filter getting clogged up, I'm wondering if that could have damaged the injectors or allowed some of the algae to get through the filter and clog the injector mesh filter. I'm not sure if this is a bad overhead or a dead injector, the driver says it's not down on power at all, but the knocking has him concerned.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    If the injector is over fueling at a idle they will knock like that. It's called fuel knock. It's a possibility.
    I find those n14s sound like a bag marbles at idle anyway. Some sound like there comin apart.

4. SpeedyGonzalez

Dec 28, 2017
    It started off like that, you could throttle it up and it would disappear but now it knocks continuously, it quiets down with throttle but doesn't disappear like it used to.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I'd say a bad injector. I always go for a six pack
    Makes for a smooth running engine

Wheeljack, jamespmack and spsauerland Thank this.
  6. SpeedyGonzalez

Dec 28, 2017
    That's what I was thinking, I read on here a while back that Cummins stopped making these injectors and the quality of remans was really lacking, does that have any merit or just some hearsay?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yeah, except it seems like there is at least one failing per year and it would be pretty expensive to replace the whole pack each time one fails

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    If you do go for injector(s) make sure to get the PX style instead of RX. PX has a higher rebuild overall quality, more parts of the injector are overhauled. From what I understand

Big_D409, Dave_in_AZ and jamespmack Thank this.
  9. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    The ones failing, is it the same injector everytime???
    This is another reason to replace all six. If one fails the others are sure to follow.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I'm not sure. Never owned a Cummins but I do know they have a subpar injector on those n14s in general.

Just get a quality set from a reputable builder with a good warrenty. Do all six . It will run smoother and shouldn't have to go back in there for long time

SpeedyGonzalez and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have the same issue, just did cylinder cut off test yesterday trying to find the bad injector, all seem to be working, but I know one is not working right. Just gotta wait until it fails I guess

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.