NASTC Membership question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by natanishe, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Didn't we compare card prices a while ago.....?

You can't beat Nastc in the northeast anyway.. Figure high inflated truck stop prices or mom and pop ....the savings amount will just be less .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yea we did compare.

Nastc is a shade better than mine but is not the only option. For me and where I run I have the best I can easily get. Example ... when I deliver to nj. There's a small fuel stop in rosenhayn...always one of the best prices in the state. Works perfect for me. Deliver very close to there.

I run mainly ny nj pa on. When west add everything that touches 80 90 and 94. I also prefer to use the small stops because there is never any wait time. A part of me dies whenever we lose one to a big chain. My tiny amount is my effort to stave off the complete takeover where our only options are the 5 major retailers. I don't want to see that. I will spend a few extra bucks.

JimmyWells and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Jubitz/ Portland OR $2.0031

Arlington WA $2.5325 taxes included.....

WA does seem to be more :(

Not sure about the fuel tax in WA. Not my area either.....

For me Nastc can't be beat....but who knows....

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It's all good really it's a difference of a few cents per mile. If we really wanted to split hairs we'd be doing the fuel up solutions similar to how big companies do it. Buy 30 gallons here. Fill up there. Get another 75 there. Whatever. I don't like that idea.

6. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Up until a month ago I was using nastc all the time. I am pulling trailers for prime while running under my authority and have access to there fuel program that beats nastc's prices usually by 10-30 cpg.

When I was using nastc, I was seeing $300-500/month savings off of the pump cash price. That's tangible savings in my pocket as a one truck operations.

Just to compare prices, prime's price that at jubitz is $1.90. The closest they have to Arlington would be that pilot in Ferndale and that is $1.87 on Prime's fuel program.

If I didn't have access to that program, I would be using my nastc card again.

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Once again, that's off of the big boys inflated cash price.

I've often bought fuel at a non-brand station for .50 a gallon or more than the posted cash rate at a TA or one of the other big boys. Their cash price is meaningless.

They've made it clear they're not interested in my business as a 1 man operation anyways. So, I say screw 'em then.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    So same price we would get with the nastc program at the majors but without the hassle of finding the small mom and pops fuel location in the middle of no where or the small town 20 miles off the road? Even the small mom and pops that are in the nastc program have better discount savings than just the cash price at the pump at those locations.

Don't get me wrong, I'll use a mom and pops when it makes sense, but the convenience, locations, showers and ease of using the bigger stops paired with the nastc discount makes it worth it to me. It's not with the extra fuel spent driving through a small town and multiple stop lights just to save another 4-6cpg. I'll burn that in just he starting and stopping to get there and back.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  9. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    I save a lot through NASTC. It is off of an inflated price but can almost always beat what cash price is at the mom and pops except maybe a few gas stations that would require unhooking trailer and going in both ways to fill both tanks. Also have showers available almost any time. 90% of the mom and pop fuel stops are not what they used to be and are owned by foreigners who seem not to give a rats ### about sanitation. TA, Petro, FJ, Pilot, & loves all seem to have cleaner restrooms and showers than most of the old mom and pop stops. And that's not saying a lot.
    There are a few that I still like but most have sold out.
    Also seems that most of the people who criticize the NASTC program have never used it and only go by what they have heard. I ran for years on different cards and paying cash but I still compare my prices with what some of my co-workers pay and I do much better than they do.
    I run 3 trucks also so the savings is multiplied. I don't care how someone runs there operation but that $250 per month and day of sales pitches(I didn't have to attend) is definitely worth what you get in return.

JimmyWells, rakusa and bbechtel16 Thank this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've used NASTC and liked it. Using Pilot cost plus now and getting about the same discount as NASTC. I prefer it over NASTC just because I prefer to fuel at Pilots. That and there are no fees with it. I don't care for small hole in the wall fuel stops. Not convenient for me and cost wise is probably about a wash with all things considered. I like Pilot because they are everywhere which makes planning fuel stops on any given load an afterthought, if even that much effort.

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Do you have a 3rd party plus cost card or is it from your company?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.