Need a clarification on Cabotage rule

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Zekria99, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Medium Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    I'll do that. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    thats to bad then--i had heard they were ok-owner a bit crazy but what one isnt
    if kindersley bought them--you know you will see those trucks and trailers on the road for next 20 yrs

4. Trade up

Trade up Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Toronto.Ontario
    Zekria99.......I have done these moves and there are dozens of companies doing these moves everyday out of the southern ports.

I have been down there many times and even looked into this law,as I didn't want to risk losing my equipment/livelyhood. Even though most people could look at the law and decifer it there will be many that refute the fact that this is legal.

I am telling you that you can take the load. I wouldn't tell you this if I thought you could get into anykind of trouble at all.
    If the load is destined for Mexico and the BOL supports this,you are good to go.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    If he is caught and found to be in violation, then you will pay all the legal fees?

6. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    That's right. You are simply Interlining for Furtherance at that point.

7. Dionysus

Nov 21, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    It looks like the law is served even if a Mexican driver picks up the load as a US driver was involved in getting it to the point at which the Canadian driver picked it up. That's the trouble with the law. It looks so simple even I can understand it. But...

8. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    you are picking the load up in a free trade zone more than likely---a load that didnt originate in us

9. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Then it would be in bond right across the country.

10. Dionysus

Nov 21, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    I used to run loads across multiple countries under TIR rules. That only satisfies customs. You would still have to conform to INS regulations or their equivalent. My loads were often cleared for delivery before I was cleared to go deliver them. That's not as drastic as it sounds. It simply means that I got my load cleared before I bought my visa, as the former was more difficult than the latter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.