Need a decent GPS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by kilroy2963, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    That driver that ran under the bridge because his GPS told him... he also missed the warning signs..the overheight red lights... he was using a car GPS... that does not indicate the GPS was at fault...simply the driver failed to use common sense... his eyes and brain.. load of batteries...

and the GPS is not perfect... the town Bullhaulerswife mentioned,, not on GPS yet..

most towns under a certain size usually do not get listed on maps...

A GPS is simply a TOOL. does not replace your ability to read an MCRA or use your brain and common sense...

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    465t has it, first result even.

4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    PC Miler: Yes
    Rand McNally: Yes
    Cobra: Yes
    Goodyear: Yes

kajidono Thanks this.
  5. Bill_TIR

Bill_TIR Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    True. I admit you're right there. I just dont like it how gps has become the end all be all. I so often hear "just give me the address, ive got gps!" almost as if they are ripping off their shirt to show underneath they are a secret super hero whos power happens to be... GPS lol.

I far more trust a person that i am speaking with. And if i am speaking with a person i can probe that person. I use my ears, if something doesnt sound right, i question it. If they dont sound like they know what they are talking about, i ask to speak with someone else.

Oh even worse than gps... google directions. i cant stand them.

and come to think of it, you know, i havent often picked shipments up at the front door of a location. "yea, just bring them pallets on out!" usually its at a loading dock, where gps directions or google maps will take me to the wrong location (need to get behind the place)

6. kilroy2963

kilroy2963 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I have not had a problem with the 465T finding addresses, usually if I did it was because I entered the address wrong. Example: There is a road in RI called the "G A R Highway", if you dont enter it with the spaces in between the letters, nothing will come up. Another time in Manchester, NH, I had a delivery on "2nd street", if you enter it as "second street"-nothing, put it in as 2nd street and bingo.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  7. Effinia

Effinia Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Utah
    So I am wondering... Do i need a gps unit ... i know it seems a bit premature but i guess i just want to know what to plan for so i know where my paychecks are going before i get them lol!

for anyone who has pm'd me, i cant respond yet, im not cool enough lol

8. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    You can send them to me, and I can forward them to the person.

Baack Thanks this.
  9. RonJL

RonJL Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    ohio
    Anyone know if the worldnav 3300 is any count? Thanks

10. Satellite

Satellite Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I was hoping there was a GPS for trucking that was hands down the best!?

I have a Garmin NUVI 260 for my car and it has never steered me wrong.

When I rode motorcycles (before GPS) i used to use maps. I would get lost on purpose and sometimes that required buying a map from a gas station.

IS THERE A HANDS DOWN BEST TRUCKERS GPS?

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I don't know if there is or not. But no matter how good it is, it is no better than the brain of the person using it.

It is a great tool. Even though I'm not driving (professionally) anymore, I have come to rely on mine very much. But no matter how great it is, it can not replace your eyes, and common sense.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.