Need a little advice from another perspective.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Azcannon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Azcannon

Azcannon Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    Spoke with a recruiter from a company with a hub here in phoenix for a flatbed job. he said 30 days training for 500 a week, I would have to have a passport , hazmat and out 3 weeks at a time which contradicts the 2 weeks the web site clearly states. After training it would be 34 cents pm.

I have currently drive a daycab/48' van delivering local and accross AZ state for the last 2.5 years and am doing between 1-2.5 hours of real labor loading and unloading every night with a 4 drop min. up to 9 ,( post office and what not drops also). I keep a log some weeks, some I don't depends on my route/stops ( distance of course ).

my goal is to get a year or two flatbed experience ,otr and anything else I can get overweight,oversize,hazardous would be a bonus.

here is where I ask your advice ( btw I'm 38 and have good job 10 year history, and no tickets or preventables, don't smoke , decent shape and clean person.)(( drive a truck well for my experience))

what should I expect to get starting out in flatbeds and what would you settle for if you were me . I have read many may many posts and tried to figure out what I should shoot for but after the last convo figured I would throw this out there.

thanks for your input btw

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    .34 mile for flatbed??? are u kidding,now are you home every night????Why u want to quit your job???

4. Azcannon

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    thats was the cpm he told me , nope - I thought it was low but who knows I have to at least ask before making a judgement it contradicts most of what I have read

I work local now so yes , even when I go across state I can make it back easily.

Well I want experience in different areas of trucking to be a supertrucker or whatever and be able to work at places I want to work and not be limited by what I have done particularly when a open job requires a type of experience ie. the good North Dakota oil field jobs and who knows what else opens up in the future.

5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    How set are you at being home every two or three weeks? My company would probably start you around .38, get .40 within a year. One week orientation, plus a week or so with another driver just to get some securement experience.

Azcannon Thanks this.
  6. Azcannon

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    Not too too worried about being home every 2-3 weeks however I need to be able to spend some time home.
    I will definitely fill out a app and call them and talk to them, who do you drive for ?
    and thanks for the info.

7. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    Well if home time is not an issue,and u like the flatbed stuff,go ahead but not for .34 mile thats low pay,try lone star transportation they will train u and pay u better,my opinion.

8. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    southeast KY
    if you can't get at least .40 cpm, or 23%, walk away. Hell, most decent dry van companies start out better than .34 cpm

Azcannon and mg1224 Thank this.
  9. Azcannon

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    Hey Noggin , I can't PM you but I do need your First and Last Name for Shayla if I get hired there , for the hire referral bonus thing. maybe you can pm it to me , so far it sounds like what I am looking for , I would of course like more but who wouldnt. seems like a pretty easy fit for me to get into , thanks a lot for suggesting it.
    wasnt quite 38 or 40 but they will do timed bumps and put it in writing so I was happy with the cpm they offered and will be at acceptable cpm in no time . I also like the longer loads if you dont have to go home every possible second.

10. Azcannon

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    Well , hired on with Melton , went over about 4-5 real possible companies before deciding on these guys , I will update the post as time goes by .

Some of the things things I liked about Melton were

1 pet policy , not sure if I will bring one but I like the option
    2 Rider policy , I have a lot of family and I think this is a viable way to spend time with them vs. constantly having to get home to see them in their boring house with all their boring problems even though I love them to death
    3 Equipment , how can you cry about Kenworths
    4 governed at 65 , my current job is governed at 65 and this is good for me , probably has saved me a few tickets over the years and I'm not in a bigger hurry than that , I have passed many trucks going slower possibly governed lower than that and that would make me crazy.
    5 asked me some good background stuff , I hope this means they weed out some rif raf and I can respect the company I work for , not important for everybody but it is too me.
    6 said I drove the truck home on my off time , one company I talked to said no on this and that wasn't gonna work. so even though some people expect that I wasn't going to hire someplace I couldnt.

Feel free to comment on my reasons but its the little things sometimes that people want and they are the ones that have to make it work.

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Great. When they getting you to Tulsa?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.