Need a little advice from another perspective.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Azcannon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. THEPRIZEFIGHTER

THEPRIZEFIGHTER Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    I do not know about Melton for sure, but most companys will tell you to drive however you're most comfortable. (Double clutch or float) Unless they have a policy against floating. I've never heard of any company's that dont want you to float but, I'm sure there are some out there some where.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    They don't care if you float the gears or double-clutch.

To be honest, I can't even remember how to double clutch....never learned how to anyways lol

Logan76 Thanks this.
  4. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    They didn't care at my orientation, but I wasn't at Tulsa. I'll ask someone today, but I'm sure floating won't be a problem. You'll be driving an old T-600 with a load of Jersey walls on. I don't see you having a problem

5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I never learned how to either. Seems like alot of extra work.

SHC Thanks this.
  6. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    southeast KY
    melton has nice equipment, but it sure seemed like they set alot between loads, at least that's my observation.

SHC Thanks this.
  7. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I rarely sit more than an hour or two before getting next load. It may pick up the next day, but I have it quick.

8. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID

I figured you were talking with System by the way you described it.

I run regional out of Spokane, WA, so I don't know how different they might do things in Pheonix.

I will say that the guy (Kelly Beckley) who started the NW regional fleet and spent the last several years running that and other specialized fleets out of the northwest was just promoted to running the Pheonix terminal. He gets a lot of respect from the "older" drivers that I talk to.

9. Azcannon

Azcannon Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    I hate the thought of training twice in the same year but yes if Melton doesn't work out for whatever reason I am going straight to System. I can't knock them at all and didnt really get a much better deal , I just weighed out the 2 jobs and chose Melton .

10. camels76

camels76 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Topeka, KS
    every melton driver ive meet was happy with the them.

SHC Thanks this.
  11. Outcast Trucker

Outcast Trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Salem, Alabama
    Melton is a great company to go with.Their K/W's with the APU's worked great for me when I was over the road.My dispatcher does'nt dispatch any longer,(promoted) or I would tell you to ask for him for your dispatcher. You probably won't be going to Tulsa for orentation.It depends on where you live.They have Terminals all over the place.I did mine in Birmingham,AL. they do weed out alot.Be careful with those 53ft. flatbeds after you bump a dock,alot of those forklift drivers have'nt loaded a 53ft. flat with spread axles.I had a guy that drove his forklift on to mine and because he was going to fast and he was'nt centered on the trailer,the trailer acted sort of like a diving board with his forklift.(Just don't stand too close when they drive on to your trailer from the back).My handle is "SideSwipe" I'll see you out there at one of the terminals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.