Need advice for friend

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by The Offspring, Feb 25, 2017.

1. The Offspring

The Offspring Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Hi,

I have a friend who is 30 and was recently diagnosed with arthritis in his legs. He has a clean d/l and had to give up his CDL for personal reasons. Hes lost a lot of weight and is loosing weight daily. He went from 335 to 295 and his next goal is to hit 270 by summer. His doctors have him the ok to get his cdl back but is a little apprehensive about it. What do you experienced guys think????

Offspring

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Is he afraid he will start gaining weight if he is driving?

4. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    From a strictly arthritis and dealing with the pain caused by it standpoint, I can only say you never know until you try. Every person handles discomfort/pain differently and has a different tolerance for it. It may well boil down to what type of arthritis he has and how well his doctors can find a medication or medications that work well for him. \

Osteoarthritis is a different beast and I can't speak for that. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 8 years ago. The first couple years sucked as the rheumatologist I initially went to and I just weren't in tune with each other and the meds he wanted me to take didn't help much. In the beginning there were days when I couldn't hold silverware. Finally found a different doctor and in about 6 months of trial and error I was back at probably 95%. As long as I take my meds I'm great and it doesn't hamper my ability to do to many things.

5. The Offspring

The Offspring Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2017
    No I dont think so. I think his concern is driving manual trucks. He doesnt have a whole lot of experience. I think those are his two concerns. I saw in another thread how hard insurance is to get for a new driver. The rates are rediculous. I keep telling him to get his weight to 240ish then drive again. Would any of you disagree with me???

6. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    I think if his Dr. gave him the ok to get back out there that's what he needs to do to get the experience IMO

The Offspring Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    He needs to simply get hired as a company driver and then do the job to gain experience. Stuff like insurance is only for owner-ops and company to worry about. He does not need to be trying to start a business (o/o) while learning the business.

Suspect Zero and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I'm pushing 280. I run a lowboy, no issues. Got some joint issues but not full blown yet

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Many trucks out here have automatic transmissions.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    He won't have any problem finding a company that uses automatic transmissions.
    Probably he will be hit with Sleep Apnea study because he's overweight.
    In my opinion, he should get his cdl and hit the road.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Another question. You said he lost it for personal reasons? Care to elaborate any? Drugs wreck, etc?
    If it was a bad wreck, it would depend on the type as to how hard to get back.
    If it was drugs, (and he got caught) he would need to do a sap before trying.
    If it was truly personal, i.e. family trouble then no problem. Get the CDL, call any of a 100 comapies and start the next Monday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.