need advice please im a newbie

Discussion in 'PAM' started by bryantvanison, Mar 24, 2010.

1. bryantvanison

bryantvanison Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I just signed up to start training for pamtransport is that a good oppurtunity im 22 and engaged will that be a good decision for me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

If you have a strong relationship then you should be ok. I would have gone to a private school if I were you that way your not stuck with pam. and there are better companies then pam if you can still opt out of pam you might want to look around a little bit more for a better opportunity.

Check out the pam thread under company DAC reports "sry I don't know how to link threads"

Good Luck!

American Trucker

4. WileyHunter

WileyHunter Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Batesville, IN
    I know that being 7 months later, my reply probably has less value to you than if I'd have done so when you originally posted. BUT, in hopes of helping others that may read this thread...

When considering the career/lifestyle of trucking (especially OTR), you really need to try to get the BIG picture before you continue. It's good that you are considering the fact that you are engaged when making the decision. Some girlfriends/fiance's/wives are ok with the separation (heck some even love it ;) ), others aren't good with it. My wife, while not thrilled with me being gone for weeks on end, understands the necessity. She also had experienced it before though, as within 3 months of being married, I was in VA and her in CA for a solid year (both of us were active duty military). What makes it easier this time, is the days home every now and then, as well as the improvements in technologies that allow us to be creative in keeping in touch. Also, the prospect of her joining me for a trip every now and then is something she looks forward to. Another thing to consider, is does your significant other work? If so, your days off may become an aggravation, especially if you are in town while they are working and are unable to take off to enjoy your home-time with you.

Finances are another aspect that you should consider and discuss with her before signing up. The industry in general has fluctuations, and so does the company. Some times are better than others for freight movement, so some trips out you WILL make more money than others. CAN you BOTH budget well, and be prepared for the lulls? This can be as small/simple as, you don't get paid for those 4 days off you are taking this week, to getting stuck out in Oregon (or anywhere for that matter) for a week due to a mechanical issue then lack of freight. Money issues are a big enough problem for marriages when you are talking about 'normal/stable' jobs. Would hate to see someone's marriage go down the drain because they didn't know how each other would handle the roller coaster income.

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Have a Good Attitude and you'll do fine.

Good Luck !!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.