Need advice

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Nessmuk, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Nessmuk

Nessmuk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hello,
    I'm a complete newb to all this and want to get into towing flatbeds for a living. Money is super tight, and I've found an an ex town salter truck International with dt466 mechanical injection engine and an automatic transmission that I can trade my way into. It fits in with my auto only restriction cdl. It has air brakes, and is in good over all condition with low miles.
    It's currently a single axle and I won't be able to upgrade to tandoms until I'm earning income. It has air brakes.
    What do you think, if I turn up the pump and tune it for 300 or more hp, will it work?
    What hitch or hitches will I need to be able to do the most work? I'll be looking at used parts on my none income.
    Later on I could add an air ride seat and a sleeper. I'm able to do my own work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
    Why don’t you go work for Maverick? They have automatic trucks and flatbeds. I would absolutely not recommend trying to get into the industry by buying a truck and that truck won’t work for flatbed work.

stwik, Ruthless, Tb0n3 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Nessmuk

Nessmuk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Took your advice and applied.
    What makes the truck unsuitable?

5. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    Too small of an engine, no fifth wheel, your lack of money and experience. With that scenario anything that can happen will, you'll be broke before you ever get started!

stwik, Ruthless, Tb0n3 and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Nessmuk

Nessmuk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How about for hot shoting?

7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well in Theory ...it Sound AWESOME.But,reality you admit to being "green",i Mean a "Newb".Whichever,while there is No shame in This.Everyone that has the "courage",to climb in a truck is a "Newbie".I was a Newbie,that old "Dinosaur" at the TS in Flagstaff was a newb at one time etc.This is NOT THE RECOMMENDED TIME...to go to work for Yourself.You have to have money,skill ,know what your doing,know "the Industry".etc. You start "turning up that old Salt truck",its probably gonna start "breakin" or "self destruct". Its probably already been "rode hard" and "put away wet". Just saying...Ya,Maverick would be Great...use their $3.50 gallon fuel,authority,train,learn to drive on "their dime".JMO

8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    If you don't even have experience driving a truck, what makes you think you can run a trucking business?

krupa530 and stwik Thank this.
  9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    if you don't have 15-25k aside (after getting truck and trailer ) i wouldn't even think about trucking

10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    clutch alone cost just 1k in parts , radiator 1200 , water pump 6-700 , 5th wheel used one 300 , bits to drill frame - ton a money plus special drill , differential 1800 .....we are talking hometown pricing and free labor if you got ability to do it . triple it on the road away from home

11. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    we didn't go in engine or tranny work yet ....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.