Need advice!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Texasflo, Jun 7, 2016.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Wrong attitude. You did not fail to do anything. The employee failed to make sure brake was on before he allowed you in the vehicle.
    Courts are where claim is determined
    Just like any accident,never admit to any fault. Liability after the fact can have a big bite.

alghazi and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Box-o-rocks

Box-o-rocks Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2016
    If the brakes were set and you accidentally put it in gear it would not have moved and stalled. You need to find out who released the brakes.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Texasflo... Im leaning towards Xsetra with this.

The Court is going to tear you apart if you are the only soul touching that truck prior to the accident. If someone else touched that truck before you swing yourself into the cab, that person needs to be looked at.

It's hard to get away with shoving a truck into gear, first thing that should happen is a EEEERRRRRRPPPPPP! as it fights you. If it dropped into gear, it should stall out. Because the engine at idle.

anything beyond this simple basic fact should be explored.

5. Texasflo

Texasflo Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2016
    No one. Once I saw the 3 trucks were damaged I was unable to think straight, I ended up making more mistakes by not taking pictures or looking to see if brakes were/weren't engaged before or after. Smh. We had viewed a few other trucks before that and nothing happened then. Now their insurance wants us to pay.

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No one released brakes????

I guess you might as well get ready to pay. I hate to be so blunt. If you can prove in court that the truck did not have brakes on when you got into it... you might get out from under this.

7. Texasflo

Texasflo Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2016
    I understand. And I do agree that I am liable to a certain extent but not 100%.
    As far as the truck it did not stall out, it did not make any loud noises when the gear shift moved. Instead the truck just kept moving forward and would not stop when I jumped behind the when and pressed both the brake and clutch. By the way I know this is a rookie mistake but in my 11 years of driving this has never happened to me.

8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    REALLY? Hmmmm.... Air must not have built up yet.

Yeesh.... this will develop for sure. Write down everything you recall clearly before you forget it all tomorrow. Just like you were taught after a accident. Get out a ledger and start putting down what you clearly remember as fact.

9. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Get a lawyer, cross your fingers. Thats about it.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    That my thoughts, was it buzzing etc

11. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I've yet to see an automatic that would go into gear without having the footbrake applied...they may exist but I havent seen one. There's more to this story guaranteed.

pattyj Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.