Need dot consultant? Dot advice

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by iamdot, Apr 29, 2009.

1. BROKENSPROKET

BROKENSPROKET Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Wisconsin
    From what I understood, was that, Post-Trip inspections are only required when the vehicle is returned to the point of origin at the end of their shift and would be driven by another employee on the next shift.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011

I do that everyday at the bottom of my log book there's a space to check off and sign that the vehicle is safe for operation or of course there's a space for mechanical defects that need correction and what not,...

I couldn't see logging daily 15 minutes for pre-trip and then 15 for post-trip...

Roadmedic from what I have read on that law then my answer is correct?

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Is the origin and destination still required to be put on the log? Most logs still have the spaces for this information but I have seen some logs that do not and it raised this question in my mind.

6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

The post trip is required by the FMCSA.

Most companies require a pre trip as well.

7. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID

You completely missed the point of my post.

And you completely bypassed my point.

Let me try a real world example for both of you...

Thursday I unloaded in Portland, OR, drove up to Rainier, OR, dropped that trailer at USG, grabbed a preloaded trailer and headed for Idaho.

Now, the law states that I must file an inspection report at the end of my day for all vehicles operated that day.

This means AT THE END OF MY DAY, I have to fill out three reports... one for the tractor... one for the trailer I left in Rainier... one for the trailer I'm currently pulling.

According to Roadmedic's interpretation of the law, I'm also responsible for performing a post trip at the time I fill out these reports.

Does this mean I have to drive back to Rainier and inspect the trailer I left there?

My point in a nutshell...

The law does not state that an inspection is required.

The law states that a report is required.

You can argue that requiring a report IMPLIES requiring an inspection... but no time frame is specifically stated for when this IMPLIED inspection is to take place.

In the above scenario, the reasonable solution is to inspect the first trailer sometime before it gets dropped.

The same is true for this fictional post trip that everybody claimes is required.

It's reasonable to assume that sometime before you go off duty for the day that you inspect your vehicles.

Nowhere does the law specifically state WHEN this implied inspection is to be performed.

double yellow Thanks this.
  8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    If you cannot comprehend what the law says, it is not a problem for anyone else. It is quite clear.

not4hire Thanks this.
  9. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    LOL you funny.

The law is so clear that pretrip posttrip debates sprout up regularly like weeds.

10. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Interesting, so in this case... state law would trump Federal law?

11. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    The question seems to be... IS one required to log time as off duty not driving for doing a post trip inspection? (Obviously the law states that a report needs to be done) However, I have yet to find a law, rule, or ruling that states one is required to log this inspection as, matter of fact, taking place in this fifteen or thirty minute period...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.