Need help learning how to up shift & down shift 10 speed transmission.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by UpsChaz, Mar 9, 2018.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Best advice i could give a new student is always get trained to operate a manual then if an opportunity comes your way at least you can say you can drive one. Practice does make perfect, unfortunately some companies don't want you practicing on their nice new Eaton Fuller gear boxes. Put quite simply when your changing up always get into a rhythm of rev's around 1300- 1600 is the best, double clutch and it should go in, never force a gear in if its grinding somethings not right, changing down is almost the same only your slowing down as you get to the right speed to match the lower gear then double clutch rev up and the gear should go in. Its easier to say then do though and hopefully you'll get the time to learn to do it properly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fatmike02

fatmike02 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    the 6 speed he is referring to is a eaton synchro 6. Those gears are synchronized. Not the same thing

4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    These troll posts seem to never end. Very entertaining though.

5. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Come on guys,he needs to learn really fast for his dream job. He already told them that he can shift.

6. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Not sure on the timeline you have but take a refresher course

7. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Yea..I'd pay between 3 and 5 k to learn how to drive a Prius that sits high up in the air.
    NOT!:biggrin_25521::biggrin_2559::cya:

8. LilRedRidingHood

LilRedRidingHood Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a school near me, call them and explain the situation, and ask if they have single-day refreshers.

A day on the pad or in a simulator will likely get you there.

Edit: Just seeing now this post is from 2018. I'll just leave it here in case someone finds themselves in the same situation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.