Need help on doing tug test and clutch

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigpopperRunner, Jul 15, 2019.

1. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    So starting my first trucking class this weekend, it's 7am-10am every Sat and Sunday. First day we watched a video of pre-trip, which I already studied in advanced. What I am confused on is how to use the clutch and brake, so when doing the tug test I know we have to put the gear in low and then release either the trailer or tractor brakes. Say for example were doing the tug test on the parking brake, so we release the trailer brakes but keep the parking brake engaged, from my understanding, I keep my foot on the clutch and also the brake and when I perform the tug test, I would release the brake and clutch slowly and it should hold. But when I come back to apply the brakes to do the next test, do I push the clutch in first then the brakes or can I just hold on the brakes? (assuming we are already in low gear). I believe that we could also use the clutch to stop the vehicle as well. Similarly, when just rolling forward and reversing, I was taught two things, one was to only use the clutch when rolling forward to perform a back or to stop the vehicle, push in clutch first then brake and to continue forward release the brake first then clutch very slowly (I stalled the first time but got the hang of it). We haven't done our driving yet, I just wanted to say how do we come to a complete stop, I know some trucks and schools allow you to stop in 3-4th gear. Can I use the clutch to stop or do I have to use the clutch then brakes? Thanks! I never drove stick before so it's all new to me :(

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your clutch is a lot more forgiving then you might realize. Just use the same motions you would take if you were starting off normally. This time just don't allow the engine to lug. Should take no more than 2 seconds to see if you are connected.

Just a note a bit off subject, also learn to do a tug test when you plan to stop for the night or be way from the truck. This time however engage the tractor spring brake so if anyone attempts to pull your 5th wheel pin release it won't come out.

aussiejosh, Matt1924, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The tug test is to make sure the kingpin is locked to trailer. But you should get flashlight and visual look also. You would release the tractor brakes. Leave the trailer brakes set. At idle let the clutch out and tug on the trailer.

Their is old test about older trailer that had the steel wheels on landing gear and your supposed to hook air lines up supply air to trailer. Then set the trailer parking brakes again to make sure they are set good. Because the trailer could roll back when you would try to hook up. Maybe that's the test they are talking about when it comes to testing the brakes..

The clutch won't help you slow down. Because diesels engine don't have any resistance like a car when you take foot off the pedal. You will just keep rolling. To slow slow down you have use the brakes. Then down shift each gear.

When you stop, you basically keep using the brakes untill the engine is trying to keep pushing you. Kinda like you are lugging the engine, but a truck engine has so much torque it will start pushing the truck. That then you push the clutch in and keep you foot on the brakes.

A big thing is NEVER roll back at stop light. That why you wait till the engine is just about pushing the truck. Then you push clutch in and hold you foot on the brakes. You can roll back and smash ba car and never feel it in a truck so you NEVER roll back.

When pull out or at stop light. You keep foot on brakes. Then let the clutch out slowly at idle. The engine will start to pull the truck and trailer. Then you can take you foot off the brakes. Let clutch out all the way. Then shift gear and keep going.

Lepton1, LoneRanger and faux_maestro Thank this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    You don't use the heel-toe (Heel on the brake, toe on the gas pedal) like in a car to keep from rolling back?

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You been watching to much fast and furious ...

Lepton1 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If you have to use ANY throttle to get a tractor-trailer moving, you're in the wrong gear. Period. The proper take off gear should require no throttle whatsoever. Just a smooth release of the clutch pedal. There's so much torque from these big engines that you can easily twist a driveline component apart.

88228822, OLDSKOOLERnWV, stwik and 6 others Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It has been years since this happened. I also can't remember if it was a tug test or a driver trying to bump a stuck tandem. I just remember watching the guy shut the engine off and walk away. If I remember correctly he had ripped the transfer case out. Go easy on that throttle when stopped.

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Actually I think I've seen the first one. I'm 59 and learned to drive in a 1968 International Harvester Scout and also drove a 1972 Chevy C10 Pickup. Heel-Toe was the technic I learned and used while driving a standard transmission as to not roll back on a hill. Used it a lot over the years.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    OK. Thank You, that was the information I was missing and didn't know.

Matt1924, Lepton1 and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    No, like other person said the truck will pull at idle. You don't give a truck any power untill clutch is fully engaged. It not like a car were you slip the clutch and apply power to get rolling.

You will need two feet to hold the brakes on and push the clutch pedal in at the same time.

Lepton1, Six9GS and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.