Need help on doing tug test and clutch

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigpopperRunner, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    If some douche bag did that to one of my trucks i would knock them out cold and then stomp on their head for good measure.

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    This is the only way. A few weeks back one of my drivers tugged. It held. He pulled out turned left... and BAM! Down went Frazier. Jaw was half bit and it opened on his turn.

Look with the eyes. Nothing else will guarentee your hooked.

MartinFromBC and FearTheCorn Thank this.
  4. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018
    Home

I called and asked if they would teach that idiotic method of shifting.
    Not only did they say no, said its impossible to do so lol

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Just a couple of pointers for anyone new just wished I was shown this when i first started driving, when your about to hook up to a trailer never ever just hook straight up always back your 5th wheel under but don't lock it in first put your brakes on get out and check the gap between the 5th wheel and trailer this is especially important when changing to a trailer some other truck has pulled, sometimes the gap may be higher so next step is lower the landing gear enough so that the trailer is now sitting on the 5 th wheel normally leave about a space of 1/4 ' between the ground get back in the truck it is now safe to back up and lock in the 5th wheel then without hooking up your air hoses put it in low gear and do the tug test at least twice when you've successfully done this, get out of the cab again hook up the air hoses and electrical cord check for air leaks and that all your lights are working, get back in the truck release your brakes let the air pressure build up then do another brake check by applying your trailer brakes only, again put it in low gear pull forward and see if trailer brakes will hold it it does your ready to roll.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  6. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018
    Don't be scared to back in hard enough to be sure you're fully under the trailer to, before throwing the lock switch....that is if you have a lock switch and don't have to manually lock the 5th wheel on your truck. I chuckle how delicately some people back under, if it is that weak you don't want to be pulling it down the road anyway.

7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    :)
    These Rigs are a horse of another color compared to a International Scout or a Chevy pickup. I still run a mechanical Big Cam Cummins engine. These engines operate like a farm tractor when the crankshaft looses RPMS as the clutch is released, the governor automatically gives the engine fuel to bring the RPM’s back up..... no need what so ever to give the engine fuel when taking off. The “Heel / Toe” use you mention is something I used many times, but I was moving drilling rigs around in the mountains of WV drilling in the coal mines. Those trucks were mostly gas burners with 330 / 361 / 477 cubic inch V8’s in the Fords and a 366 big block in the GMC. I’m not much with words so probably clear as mud lol.:)

PoleCrusher and Six9GS Thank this.
  8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I have much to learn. Thanks for giving me an important piece of info.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Read these forums, ask questions, absorb all you can..... lot of good info here, but sadly some misguided info too.

If I knew about all that YouTube stuff I’d probably add a few videos myself, but I don’t lol, so I do pictures and words. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.