Need help to find mechanic

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by mike0321, Sep 12, 2019.

1. mike0321

mike0321 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    D13 loves to drop #5 or #6 exhaust valve. Just finished another one Monday. To the customer or mechanic who does not diagnose correctly acts just like bad injector. When you pull valve cover to "change injector" you can usually tell with naked eye which valve stem is not even with the rest of them.

4. mike0321

mike0321 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Is this one can be fixed without replace whole cylinder head ?

5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Sorry. It cannot. Head replacement has to be done.

Newto Trucking and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I can't wrap my head around why any mechanic worth his salt would even suggest throwing an injector at it. Low compression is root cause of the issue. Solve that first. Can't make fire in the cylinder if you can't make heat.

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Hulld and stayinback Thank this.
  7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    We
    the reason they throw injectors is because Volvo will use injectors current to actually measure compression so if you have a bad cup or bad injector it will show low compression that being said it takes literally two min with rockers off and injector off to do a poor mans compression test and see if that cylinder is holding air or pissing it out. Burned and broken valves are very common on d 13 best way to test simple pull injector that you have to replace anyway and when doing so put some air in the piston with blower and air and listen if it’s going anywhere if nothing install new injector. All done if you hear something pull the head off.

QUALITYTRUCK and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It’s very hard to find a backyard mechanic to work on these new engines all software and special tooling not really worth it. Without having aoftware can’t do a #### thing with these trucks now days besides change oil brakes and mechanical can’t really touch the engine at all. This is y backyard guys are a dying breed. In most places you will have a hard time just to find a shop that truly can diagnose and fix a Volvo most of them want nothing to do with it. That being said I believe that’s all across the board maybe Cummins isx is a little more friendly but everything else it’s tough even Detroit without proper software can’t do shot.

9. mike0321

mike0321 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Thank you very much for your advice I will do this .By the way any idea how much possible can cost me to get fixed if the problem it's burned or broken valves ?

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I see this mentality in my shop all the time.
    The one I see the most is in the transmission shop when they come in with a burned up trans and ask if I could change the fluid and filter because they think that will fix the problem.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I ended up paying about 12k. My original head was junk due cracks around the injector bore. This was done in California and the shop rate was 80hr.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.