Need help with 3406E 3 wire fuel temp mod

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Slow302, May 26, 2018.

1. Slow302

Slow302 Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    I searched forever and still couldnt find out how to do 3 wire mode on 3406E. There is a lot of info how to do 2 wire but not 3 wire.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slow302

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
  4. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    cat on highway only have 2 wire temp sensor for fuel. its on the filter housing. it works as a thermistor.

only cat off highway has fuel pressure sensor which is 3 wire.

if you have a 3 wire fuel temp sensor with an on highway engine you're looking at the wrong sensor.

as for more power you'd be far better off with a factory re-rate than the wire mod

5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Wrong, the 40 pin ecm e-models have three wires coming from fuel temp sensor.

jimmycrackcorn Thanks this.
  6. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    my mistake and sincere apologies if that be the case. I though the sensor was 3 wire but harness 2.

my apology to the OP

7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    20180606_132344.jpg
    I had to look and see myself. This is the plug from sensor to harness. Harness is also 3 wires. How to hook them up to resistor do a search on here. It is a temporary increase in hp. When furl gets up to temp in tanks you will not have any hp gain. Only slight gain when you fuel up (cold fuel) or start in the morning. ( again cold fuel)

wore out Thanks this.
  8. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    out of embarrassment for my incorrect statement I just looked on the schematic.

its a 3 wire 5v analog sensor sharing common 5V supply and Earth with all the other 3 wire 5v sensors on the engine. wire colours are for engine harness not sensor pigtail

pin a on 3 pin sensor plug is +5v (common) 997 orange to ECM pin 36
    pin b on 3 pin sensor plug is ground (common) 993 Brown to ECM pin 30
    pin c on 3 pin sensor plug signal (independent) 751 yellow to ECM pin 3

valid 5V analog data is any voltage between 0.2 and 4.8v I cant recall if 4.8 V signal tells the ECM the fuel is hot or cold. to modify the 5v 3 wire sensor you'll need to use ohms law to work out what resistor to put in the bridge between 5v supply pin a and signal pin c to return a constant voltage of 4.6-4.8V back to ECM. this will do the same thing but you'll need to calculate what resistor is required.

if I'm wrong and 4.8V doesn't tell the fuel its hot but conversely tells it its cold you'll need a resistor to return 0.2-0.5V on the supply wire.

bare in mind fuel temp over 90deg c for more than 10minutes will log a code

9. Slow302

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    I understand this will work on cold fuel, not much on hot summer days. But i was watcking Scan Gauge and hottest fuel i was getting is 135 F and still no extra boost. I read somewhere it should be 145 F. Now question should i leave sensor plugged and just add resistor or ?
    Wires are black, yellow and white so which two

10. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    schematic says the wire colours on the sensor tail are black, white and orange.
    wire colours in the engine harness are brown yellow and orange respectively

you want to join wire 997-orange to wire A751- yellow through a resistor.

the earth (black sensor tail and brown in harness) wire 993-brown needs to remain plugged into the sensor.

I would remove the sensor from fuel housing and turn the truck ignition on with sensor still plugged in. use a multimeter between the B and C pins on 3 pin plug or between wire A751- yellow (+) and wire 993-brown (-) in the engine harness. you'll be expecting something between 0.5 and 4.5V use ice and then a blow torch or heat source to work out how temperature changes the signal voltage in relation to resistance.

11. Toddk

Toddk Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Is the fuel temp and boost wires really worth it?! Do the really provide extra HP an torque?! I have a cat 3406e (5ek series) factory rated @ 375HP! An I believe it is at that still!
    What exactly does the boost wire do? Just quicker response? If I avoid the fuel temp wire, and get an ecm tune, would the boost wire be of any good?! Please let me know what yall think. I appreciate your opinions, thoughts, an ideas in advance. Thanks...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.