Need help with cabotage rules.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Recently put in a 2 weeks notice for my company who is still denying their acts of cabotage, they claim what they are doing is legal.
    You tell me, here is the scenarios.

Scenario 1: pick up a load from Toronto, Ontario
    Deliver in Smith Creek MI stop#1
    Deliver in Livonia MI, stop #2
    Drop empty trailer at shipper
    Load gets canceled, pick up another empty trailer from a US reciever.
    Move that trailer to Cincinnati, OH
    Switch trailer and bring back to Canada.

(100% illegal)

Scenario 2:
    Pick up in Toronto, Ontario
    Deliver in Dayton, OH
    Drop that empty trailer at shipper in Cincinnati
    Go back to the delivery in Dayton OH, pick up another empty trailer
    Drop that trailer at same shipper
    Switch trailers and bring it back to Canada.

Scenario 3: Pick up load in Toronto
    Deliver to California
    Pickup in California
    Bring it to michigan and switch with a Canadian driver
    Bring that back to California.
    Rinse and repeat.
    100% illegal.

No matter how much articles I send them and information from the CBP website they insist what they are doing is legal. The owner even called me saying he talked to CBP at the border and they said it's legal. According to the owner everybody does it.

How fast should I be running?

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. canadian

canadian Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Surrey, British Columbia
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Illegal because you moved an empty from 1 spot to another and it wasn't the one you came in with.
    Illegal, same reason.
    More illegal than 1 and 2. As a Canadian you loading and dropping freight within the USA is not allowed at all. I don't see the point in switching in Michigan why not do it in Windsor or Sarnia then it would all be good. It does not matter that the load is international shipment. You picked it up in USA. You take it out of USA. Thems the roolz...

The border will catch you someday. The first offence is a big fine and barred from USA for 5 years I think. 2nd time it's a way bigger fine and barred for life. You may get away with it for a long time, but they only need to catch you once. The owner does not care if this happens to you. YOU will be the one in deep doo doo.

I would tell them I'm not doing it anymore and if you don't have any other work for me then I quit. Forget 2 weeks. There is plenty of legitimate work to do.

5. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    I stopped about two weeks ago and the boss has been pretty pissed off and said everything was legal. Headed to the office today for a "meeting". Might not even do the 2 more weeks if he insists I keep moving those trailers around. Claims CBP told him it was legal and I know these bosses look out for their best interests. Sad part is half of my company is doing it thinking that it's legal.

6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Ah let him be mad that doesn't matter.

Have eyes on where to go next or what type of work you want to do? What city are you near?

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Not sure yet on the work, was thinking of doing local just to pass out the winter but open to continue doing USA. What do you think?
    I live in Toronto willing to travel a bit further for a better company.

8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you can find something local that pays decent and you enjoy it then sure. I couldn't do local in GTA every day.
    This sounds horrible but when I think Toronto companies i draw a blank on anything not run by the new Canadians which is always a nightmare.

Erb always has happy drivers. At exit 250 on 401. I mostly just know the reefer world :/

9. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    You got the new Canadian part right. Driving local in Toronto takes a special kind of thick skin. Did it for a few weeks. I'll check out erb, I think they do mostly reefer? One local company is willing to pay me $25 an hour but it's hour and a half drive each way. Will probably just end up working local if I can't find a normal company not run by new Canadians.

10. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Erb is not new Canadians. I would go there if looking for an over the road job.

Give me a couple years and I'll be looking for someone to drive truck #2.

11. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Went for the meeting and they fired me ahaha, #### east Indians... It's a drivers market these days not even slightly concerned. Will be calling up erb today.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.