Need Help With Freight Broker Sales Pitch

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Disgruntledriver, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Disgruntledriver

Disgruntledriver Light Load Member

So after trying out a smaller firm only to find it wasn't legit, spending a lot of time deducing and being explained that going under my own authority to start out is a bad idea and applying to many places without experience and being turned down I finally, finally found a place willing to train me and allow me to operate under a senior broker. The commission draw is very fair and it's a major trucking company this broker works for. The training was all satellite, done by videos. I got a phone line set up, a home office set up, a business E-mail set up, all the documentation and am ready to roll...

Now what?

The training didn't go into a TON of detail about the sales pitch and when I look any info or videos up they all say different things. I tried calling some places and found that I kind of fumbled on my own words a bit and wasn't exactly sure of what I was doing. I know what I was offering them, but why would they want to choose me? What makes me sparkle? I'm not quite sure how to convince or explain why "our" services are better than the other guys. Starting out I fumble a bit on my presentation, "We're just calling to see if you have full truckload capacity needs" dot dot dot.

I feel like I've got an engine but no wheels, all the power and drive but missing a few key elements. I just feel like I'm not quite sure what to say. I've been trying to make this freight brokering thing work no matter what, I've been quite dedicated at making this work some how so I come here asking for some advice once more.

Thanks for any replies, advice and time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. *Five-0*

*Five-0* Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Hey...I'm over here!
    In general, sales is all about building long-term relationships. What you will need to sell more than anything is yourself. Selling freight, mortgages, insurance, printing - it doesn't matter what you are selling as long as you establish the thought in the mind of your customers that YOU are reliable, you are solving a problem they have, and you will ALWAYS respond when they call - even if the only thing you can do is refer them to somebody else. It takes time, persistence, dedication, and learning how to walk the very, very thin line of keeping yourself in front of the customer constantly without annoying them.

If I were you, I would head to Barnes and Noble (my favorite one is in downtown Scottsdale - close to plenty of good eats!) and look in the business section for books on professional selling and marketing yourself. Once you learn the basic process, you will know how to adapt it to the freight industry.

You could also look around for professional networking groups. BNI is one. This is a great way to establish some mentoring relationships with folks with vast experience who may want to help you out as a mentor.

Good luck!

4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Zig Ziegler read his works, Napoleon Hill is another one they are old school, but old school works.

5. Disgruntledriver

Thanks for the replies.

One of the biggest problems is I wasn't taught how to rebuttle really. I'm not blaming the group I'm with, they seem like a pretty good bunch and for that I want to do good. I'm just not sure what to say when some one throws me "Why would I want to use you over X Y Z?" I'm not quite sure what to even ask once I get the shipping managers on the phone. I mean, they obviously are moving their freight some how, you can't exactly ask if they need capacity. I just feel like I'm jumping into this not knowing a few key elements.

Sammybp Thanks this.
  6. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Look for the small / mid-market shippers in your area....the big ones are a little tougher to get anywhere with. Once you find these shippers go into there office with a deliverable ( not just a business card ) - A deliverable can be a 2-3 page thing, who you are, what you do, what your company is capable of, etc...grab photos off the internet of a truck, trailer, warehouse, whatever...you can do all this on MS Word, maybe print off a few color copies at Kinkos.

When you either get in front of a shipping manager or get one on the phone, remember not many people want to be sold to, most want to buy! Think about the statement for a second. Phrase your pitch as, " Is there anything we can help you out with? " or Any lanes giving you trouble? Offer to answer the phone at 3:00AM or tell them you personally will stay on top of the shipment from p/u to delivery, not some 1-800 call center, where 21 y/o Joe who is working the night shift and has no clue about the shipment then gets involved.

One way or the other you will get told no, that is a big part of this game. Just move on and realize most sales aren't made on the first call to someone. Ask the Sr. Broker if there are any clients that havent shipped with you guys in a while and if you could take a run at getting some of the business back.

7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    You get customers by solving their problems. Find out their problems, and help solve them. Do them a favor, they do you a favor.Deliver on your promises. But it takes time and patience.

8. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    I'm currently read grant Cardone the 10x rule it's very helpful for sales

9. Disgruntledriver

Thanks for the replies.

Selling over the phone is difficult enough, I doubt right now as I stand I would be able to physically walk into a business with a card in hand to sell my services. I agree though, most people want to buy, offer them something they can't refuse, something enticing instead of selling them.

I would love to solve the customer's problems, but I have to get the chance to do that first.

That book looks quite interesting too.

10. Disgruntledriver

Yeah, I keep getting rejections...

"We already are contracted out" "Our customers source their own loads" "voicemail, voicemail, voicemail" "We don't ship in full truckload" "We like who we have, thanks"

It's only noon and I can't find the motivation to pick the phone back up. I feel like a little league player going to try out's for the major league baseball teams.

How will I ever make a living, even break 40k a year like this?

11. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Find out how to relate to the person you are calling...takes time to establish relationships. Face to face interaction is key to getting rolling.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.