Need help with N-14

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by samson73103, Aug 30, 2017.

1. samson73103

samson73103 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I have an International 9300 which I use to haul grain off the farm and also move equipment. There was a small oil leak from a rectangular plate which is held in place by six bolts/studs on the left side of the engine block behind and above the starter. Thinking it was an inspection plate of some sort, I removed the bolts with the intention of replacing the gasket, or the plate itself, if required. But there is something attached to the plate inside the engine and I fear I now have a much more imposing task in front of me. Can someone clue me in to what this plate is, what it's attached to, and what I'm looking at in regards to getting the truck running again? Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Cam follower boxes aka lifters. The gaskets/shims are actually different thicknesses used to set timing. Sometimes oil leak is from bolt threads. Pull one bolt at a time, clean and apply blue gel threadlocker. Need timing fixture to properly set timing.

strollinruss Thanks this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    need to remove top and rockers so you can lift up push rods tie them together with electrical tape to prevent them from falling down, remove starter and then remove cam follower make sure you replace the gasket with same thickness it has written on it and make sure when installing back all push rods go in properly and are sitting their proper place if not you can make some serious damage.

5. samson73103

samson73103 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I sure wish I had came here asking questions BEFORE I removed the bolts and tried to get plate off. No excuses really with the internet being what it is. One other question...what should be considered as normal oil pressure with an N-14? At idle speed, it's only about 5 lbs and runs about 25-30 lbs in road gear. This seems low to me but the truck doesn't use any oil, nor does it smoke.

6. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i believe spec on n14 with engine at idle is anywhere from 2 psi to 12 and high idle is 25-40 i think haven't opened the book on one of these in a long time but it doesn't seem like you have an oil psi problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.