Need help with paperless logs!!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckersGirl36, Mar 5, 2014.

1. TruckersGirl36

TruckersGirl36 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2014
    My boyfriend just started with Marten Transport, and they didnt fully explain the new logs to him. I have been searching google for answers to his questions. But, I come up with nothing. Maybe someone here can help me.

1. When he goes in to the truck stop for showers, meals ect... what does he need to do? Is it off duty, not driving...or what???
    2. There is a symbol on his qualcomm screen that is a red dot with a teardrop thing inside. Any clue what that is? Is it a violation?

Please help me! I have googled my brain silly!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Yes, when he goes inside the ts for personal business he should go off duty. As far as the red teardrop thing, I dont remember.

4. TruckersGirl36

Mar 5, 2014
    Thank you so much! So it should be off duty not driving. Great. Ok, the red teardrop thingy I cant figure out. He went over his drive time by 13 minutes. And I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

5. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    when driver isn't performing any work related functions, he/ she must show off duty and or in the sleeper.

Im sorry he went to marten. They probly didn't tell him till ordination , they will tack on a admin fee, for being on FORCED Perdeim.
    Hope he likes seeing rail yards, cause that is where he will spend a lot of time. Or chasing down phantom trailers.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The red exclamation will dispay at a number of situations that does not mean a "violation". For instance it will tell you when more then 24 hours has lapsed without a vehicle inspection performed and entered as a "friendly reminder".

He can click on the exclamation mark and it will list the issues. As far as when not doing any work such as in the truck stop, off duty or sleeper berth should be selected. Which one is not critical but anything else, and he is burning up his available hours. He needs to understand that when he stops and sets the brakes, it will default to ON DUTY so if that's not the case, he will need to change it himself. It's not terribly complicated and he will figure it out. Main thing is to accuratey change the duty status as needed, log the required pre and post trip inspection according to company policy, log fuel stops (in duty), log unloading loading, etc and select the appropriate "remarks" selection where most or provided via a drop-down selection.

It's almost fool proof, but can get the driver in trouble if he forgets to change the status as he takes a 10 hr break. Most companies have a department that can correct SOME issues if the drivers asks nicely and has a reasonable explanation (such as being new to the system or simply forgetting or selecting the wrong status inadvertently)

Meltom Thanks this.
  7. TruckersGirl36

Mar 5, 2014
    Ok another question. Now his load needs to be delivered tomorrow night at 6pm CT. He will arrive in the area at 2am CT. Now for 10 hours he will be in the sleeper. What should he put put for the other 6 hours? Off duty, on duty?

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    He needs a log class if he doesn't know such simple answers.

9. cabjeepster

cabjeepster Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Off duty if he is just waiting.

10. madman118

madman118 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Line 1 - Off Duty.

Here's a quick breakdown

Line 1 - Off Duty: Any activity that does not include moving the truck or working on something related to the truck. Ex. Eating, sleeping, showering, home time.

Line 2 - Sleeper: Time spent in the sleeper, for sleeping. Your off duty 10 Hours has to be made up of 8 hours sleeper time. 8 hours sleeping + 2 hours off time = 10 hour reset.

Line 3 - Driving: The truck is moving most qualcomms put the truck as driving when the brakes are off and or the truck is in gear. 11 hours total in the US. that 11 hours has to be with it the 14 total ON DUTY hours between 10 hr shift resets. After 8 consecutive hours of drive time the driver has to take a minimum 30 min break, counted as Off Duty (Line 1) time.

Line 4 - On Duty: Activities related to the truck but not driving. Such as pre trip inspections, loading and unloading, tie downs and securing loads etc. Total of 14 available On Duty hours is allowed before another 10 hour shift reset is required.

This is a very basic explanation and does not include weekly recap, exdemptons, or other details.
    Your guy needs to tell his DM that he doesn't know how to work his logs. HOS violations are bad news and in all honesty its half the drivers and half the companies responsibility to make sure that we all know how E-Logs work. The gov't sure as heck isn't. And E-logs aren't going nowhere.

11. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    It's as easy as it sounds:

On duty - doing stuff you don't want to do
    Driving - holding the steering wheel
    Off duty - enjoying freedom temporarily
    Sleeper - sleeping, reading a book, watching tv, etc as long as your body is in the sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.