Need honest advice

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Bigblock440, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Bigblock440

Bigblock440 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Heres my situation. Live in a small depressed town- Johnstown Pennsylvania. Most money that I can make at normal jobs around here is $12 an hour. I've read that trucking pays more and that there are jobs available. The hitch is that I have a child and would need to be local. The other is the cost of cdl training the only two schools that offer it are in the $7000 range. They won't give a school loan for cdl school either so it would have to be a personal loan. I know some companies will train you but they all seem to require you to be over the road.

Anyone else been in a situation like this? I just want to do better than I have been for my family. Warehouse work just isn't cutting it.

From reading the forums there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on trucking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    It might be a stretch, but a few years back MS was sponsoring people to go to tuck driving school through the unemployment office. Maybe try that?

As far as local goes, idk. I’ve looked into it previously but when it came down to money it didn’t pay enough in my area, although it seems on here some people in food service and LTL are makin $$$$. Maybe look at food service and beverage companies?

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you would sacrifice one year for over-the-road, then many local jobs will be available.
    For example, Clean Harbors is local and will hire you with a little experience. Sometimes they cut some slack and hire a new cdl grad or a cdl driver with very little experience.
    They also have "tuition reimbursement" if you graduated from cdl school.
    401K (w/ company matching), tuition reimbursement, and generous paid time off

Company paid certifications, licenses and training

To learn more about our company visit us at www.cleanharbors.com.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The state might pay for cdl school, free to you, through the WIOA Program. This program is for people that are under-employed or unemployed. If you have a low paying factory job, you might qualify.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Clean Harbors photos:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] upload_2018-4-10_10-53-1.jpeg

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.schneiderjobs.com will list jobs available in your area and if they're local or regional or OTR.
    Schneider will also pay for cdl school. If you pay for school yourself, they'll reimburse up to $7000.00 directly to you in monthly installments.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you considered moving to a better area for jobs?

8. Bigblock440

Apr 9, 2018
    Thanks for the responses.

I have considered it but theres a few hangups. My wife has here career here and she has a lot of time in at her place of work. All of our family is here as well. I know this area sucks and I hate that, but I am sort of stuck here.

I still kind of have sticker shock at the price of cdl school.

9. Bigblock440

Apr 9, 2018
    Chinatown do you have any advice for locations to obtain a CDL near me? I know of two community colleges that offer it but they only do so when enough people sign up so the classes aren't guaranteed to even happen.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with the WIOA Program and if they accept you, will assign you to a cdl school.
    Check with a Schneider recruiter; they pay for cdl school and have local/regional driving jobs.
    What is your zip code?
    @Bigblock440 - enter your zip code in www.schneiderjobs.com and see what's available. Schneider might pay for cdl school if you see something you're interested in.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. DrivetoDrive

DrivetoDrive Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017

I put it in on that site.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.