Need honest advice

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Bigblock440, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's tough sometime. Not everyone is in a situation where they can move to another location where jobs are plentiful. Just have to live with the cards we're dealt sometimes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PressGo

PressGo Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Iowa
    Gg

4. PressGo

PressGo Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Iowa
    Great info thanks a bunch

5. some other trucker

some other trucker Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2018
    You might try to look into Old Dominion or Xpo Logistics, or smaller regional ltl companies in your area. Some companies run their own schools with no cost to the employee. ( you may have to sign a contract that says you owe them x number of dollars if you leave before the first year up or two or whatever is agreed upon.
    )

I got my license through xpo (formerly conway freight). You work the dock part time in the evenings and go to their school earlier in the day. You are not paid for time at school but there is no cost for school either.

School is three months and once you’re done you become a driver and start running trailers between service centers. This will be local work, home everyday. No weekends.

After a few years, you might move into doing city P&D work if that interests you.

It looks like Bedford pa is the the closest terminal to Johnstown but here is the link to search for others

Service Center Information

Here is the jobs search page already using your zip

Careers at XPO Logistics

Nothing shows open in Bedford right now but check back every couple of weeks and something may come up.

You can at least read some of the listings and get an idea of what to expect.

If you were up
    for the drive you could commute to Pittsburgh for the positions listed.

Or you may find other companies closer offering similar school programs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  6. JboneChicago

JboneChicago Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Do not go to school because it's time consuming, you're not going to learn what is only learned via experience. The only people who do genuinely need to go to school are those who probably aren't ideal to be a trucker on the road. (Its a dangerous job)
    DO NOT get signed up with a carrier for one year because you will be worked like a slave and they will only throw peanuts at you for that one year.
    What you should do is find someone with a boat trailer and learn the basics of maneuvering the trailer. Study your pre trip on your own. When you feel you are ready rent a truck from an outfit in your state. You'll get your license for maybe $500 or little more.

I've been a driver for one year now and just activated my DOT authority this Monday. When it comes to trucking IGNORANCE is my only enemy. Everyone is in your wallet, everyone cheats the driver.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. Caceres1949

Caceres1949 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018
    I work for Clean Harbors. Been working out of the National Trans Division for 5 years. Great company. Over the last 5 years my annual salary has ranged from $95,000 to $100,000. I drive regionally. Local work I would guess ranges around $70,000. They have started a truck driving school; but, I think it is only for class b. They are planning on expanding to class a. Unfortunately I think it’s only for employees. I’ve seen Clean Harbors hire drivers with minimal experience. Lots of perks.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. tndriver

tndriver Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2011
    mid south tn
    Ok so 1st let me correct some comments. Going to school is not a waste of time if that's the way you gotta go. But you got other options. Some good on job training that pays pretty good with descent home time. Check out places that have to do with food and drinks. And look into 3rd party testers. Just read, ask questions, and Google will help you out.

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    A lot of coal buckets in that area.

10. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Some jobs are worth commuting to... Have you expanded your search outside of Johnstown? There are lots of local driving jobs (and CDL schools) in the Pittsburg area? Altoona? Some likely within an hour or so. I commuted to CDL school 55 miles each way, mon.-fri., for 5 weeks. Then got a job requiring a similar commute, and it's been worth it ... to me and my family. The commute home can be brutal at times, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.