Need info about blood sugar requirements for DOT physical

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Rainbowstew, May 7, 2021.

1. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Sorry, double posted o_O

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    STOP thinking about numbers! All numbers are in regard to this question is a rabbit hole. I have always heard that with most people that have diabetes type 1 or 2 or even someone considered a pre-diabetic when the blood sugar levels get much over 140 to160 you will start having protein spill over into the urine. This is called Glycosuria and it is something that shows you don't have your blood sugar under control. Part of the exam is the urine test strip thing.

This is why I have always highly advised a driver to fast before this physical. NOTHING by mouth NOT even coffee. It has been a number of years since I last looked at the actual physical forms. On the last one, I remember there were several test strip readings boxes starting with clear to trace and onward from there. Most MEs that gave me my physicals seen mine was a trace and let me go. While I still advise fasting I am also pleading with drivers to take better care of their bodies. I know it's tough, but you really need to exercise more AND watch the (redacted) you eat every day! There rarely is a month that goes by that I don't see on social media or a phone call of a middle-aged driver passing away from a heart condition. This is a real problem, PLEASE take care of the only body you will have on this planet!

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Reason for edit: Grammar problems fixed
    NavigatorWife and Jenn72 Thank this.
  4. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    20210511_153806.jpg

Op
    A supplement that actually works...

5. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I did this for my latest DOT physical last year and I was alarmed when the physicians assistant told me my ketones in the urine were high. I told him I havn't had any food in over a day and he asked me why. I told him I was trying to weigh in as low as I could for BMI purposes. He then said that a high ketone level is associated with diabetes or fasting and left it at that. I've never had to take a blood glucose test on a DOT physcal.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    On this fasting thing. When I advise fasting I am not saying go 4 or 5 days. Here is what I did. For about 72 hours before a physical, I avoided carbs. No bread or breaded food. I avoided ALL colas even diet! Most of the time my breakfast was either a breakfast steak or a hamburger steak, scrambled eggs, sliced tomato with milk. The morning of I tried to schedule my physicals early and simply did not eat or drink anything until I was finished. @VA CDL Holder the basic DOT physical has no glucose test that I know of. The physical checks for sugar spilling into the urine. This is the primary reason why they get urine.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Simple solution is to have blood work done by a lab (costs me $8.00) then go for your physical if it’s a good reading. Your DOT Dr will accept the results of your test. Urine tests are not accurate and could cause you some temporary grief. If it’s not good get treated for it.

PS, please stop with all the home remedy voodoo. Diabetes isn’t something you play with.

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    For checking Blood sugar levels you are 100% correct! For detecting Glycosuria urine tests are noted for their accuracy. As I stated, the DOT has no blood sugar readings that I know of that cause a fail. I have never known of a medical examiner that did not do a urine stick test. In fact, the FMCSA issued Medical Examiners handbook on page 175 DIRECTS the ME to check for Glycosuria.

9. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    If you bring lab test results to the DOT Dr they will accept that over any urine test strip.
    The blood lab results tell you if you have Diabetes or not.
    You don’t see any pass/fail listed for the blood test because it’s not required. Fail using a urine test strip and any credible Dr will send you for blood work..that’s how they confirm it.

Take it from me as I got temporarily sidelined for a failed urine test “bad test strip”. Now I bring my own lab results and don’t have to take any urine tests.

10. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    “Urine glucose tests are not as accurate as blood glucose tests. Many things can cause false-positives or false-negatives. For instance, the test actually reflects what your blood glucose level was a few hours earlier, so it might not be very accurate.”

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Again! The urine dip test is not just testing for glucose levels. It is also a test for diabetic control by looking for the presence of protein in the urine. This reading is put on the official physical long-form where I put the arrow. The form also states this check is required.

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.